Telescope questions?

I'm new to astronomy but I want to buy a telescope that can view the sun/moon/ and some planets. That's all I want to start with. My price range is low like 60-100$ at most... Anyone recommend the best one for my needs? I appreciate any feedback.

Hi there!

I'm afraid that with a price range that low there aren't a lot of options if you want to buy new. This is what you're looking at: http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/Dobsonian-Telescopes/Mini-Dobsonians/pc/1/c/12/28.uts They won't give very sharp views, though. The reason for that is the mirrors are what we call "very fast." Meaning that they have a small focal ratio (about f/4). Google telescope focal ratio and looking on the stickies in this forum. Fast telescopes need precisely made eyepieces (which cost more and those scopes don't come with such eyepieces) for sharp views. The scopes will work, but they may be a struggle to use. The second hand market can produce bargains, but you'd need a little experience before jumping into that. I think your best bet is to see if you can track down a local club. Many clubs will lend telescopes to members and you can go and look through other members' scopes at viewing nights. You may even get a scope for free or very cheap from a fellow member. Binoculars are another idea, but they won't be of much help with planets. With binos and a star chart you can track down the brighter Messier objects.

I appreciate the feedback! So for my needs and a clear view, what price range should I save up for and look at? Also, where would I even go about finding local clubs? I'm in a small city so I'm not sure if there would even be any here... Thanks again for the help though! It's much appreciated I have always been amazed by astronomy and now that I'm older I can get seriously into it....

Hi Brett and welcome to SGL from across the pond. You may do worse than have a look at your own countries Astro forum "Cloudy Nights" as they have a very big classifieds section. A basic 150mm Dob should not be over expensive s/h and really will reveal a lot of wonderful heavenly sites for you. If you have not access to a local club, as Umadog has suggested, you should try and read as much material on the subject as you can and any inquiries you can address to the forum members, who I am sure will be only too willing to help you :)

John.

Hello and welcome to the SGL Forum.

Perhaps as a first step into astronomy, would be to seek an Amateur Astro Society near you.

New members are always made welcome, and you meet like minded people, and best of all, get to

see and try their instruments. That way, you gain an insight into what different telescopes are capable of,

and you can plan your purchase from the experience you gain. Good telescopes don't come cheap,

but at least as a society member, you will learn a great deal whilst you save towards your first inmstrument..

Good Luck.

Ron.

So for my needs and a clear view, what price range should I save up for and look at?

I've just started out in astronomy with similar goals to you (moon/planets/etc). I've got a Skywatcher 90mm scope and I've been very happy with it. I've been able to get a good look at the moon, to look at Saturn and make out its rings, and to see several of the brighter double stars and nebulae. For an easy to use first scope that won't break the bank, I recommend it.

Im no expert but you could do far worse than maybe getting a pair of binoculars and a book such as turn left at orion, or philips guide to astronomy with binoculars to learn the basics, maybe a moon map as well? Not to sound negative but planetary views will not be up to much as they will basically look like stars through binoculars but looking at the moon through binoculars can give one months of enjoyment and the views of some other stuff out there are pretty impressive as well. Plus, it could give you a taste for astronomy and buy you plenty of time to save and maybe go to a local club to see and try different telescopes to see the sort of scope YOU want :)

Brett, you can look on Google for local clubs. Join the US site, Cloudy Nights, and ask there too. Ask if anyone knows of clubs in your area or if there are members in your area. A 6" Dobsonian would be a great budget first scope. I realise that's way out of budget, but I'm just calling it like I see it. If you can find a local club then they will keep you going whilst you save up. Also, spend some time reading on the internet about different telescope designs. Learn how aperture, focal length, and focal ratio affect how the instrument performs. Learn about refractors and reflectors. Dobsonian mounts. Etc. Then you'll be in a better position to make choices and you'll understand better why certain scopes will be recommended to you.

Archived