NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A bit of advice, please.

Whenever I attempt to take images of what I am seeing through the scope, all I seem to be able to get is blurred images.

When I look through with eyepieces, I can see a crisp, clear image.

Saturn for example, is really nice through eyepiece, the rings are clear and you can see reasonable definition of the planet itself.

But when I come to image it, it just seems out of focus and a yellow blob with some ears.

I have a Sony A450 DSLR, which is a good camera. I have a variable projection adapter and a basic adapter with the correct T-ring.

The scope is a Meade LX90 8".

I insert the adapters into the diagonal (with eyepieces inside).

Is there something I am missing?

Any advice much appreciated.

Al

Welcome to the wonderful, but truly frustrating, World of imaging...The camera and your eyeball, focus at different points.

I would also suggest removing the diagonal. Put the T ring directly into the back of the cope - you may need a different back piece. You will need to focus the camera on Saturn viewing through the camera viewfinder and this will be different than your eyepiece view. Also, with planets, you are better off with a webcam and capturing an AVI for processing in something like Registax.

Hope this helps.

I agree with Tom. Planetary imaging is always going to be a bit of a struggle with a DSLR. You ideally want something capable of a high frame rate. No reason the DSLR wouldn't work on the Moon though, stacking a small number of images, or even the Sun given a suitable filter for the scope.

Imaging through the eyepiece is, I think, a bit hit-and-miss, especially as regards getting the focus point for the camera correct which it sounds like your problem is. If you have all the kit to connect up the camera without the eyepiece which it appears you do then I think it's a world less pain to do as Tom describes and use the scope effectively as a large camera lens.

James

Archived