Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Arduino for Beginners

Gina

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Hi Gina

Wondering how you are getting on with the Arduino?. I went to the BAA Radio astro meeting last saturday and this board was mentioned and it seemed interesting so I`ve just ordered a Uno kit off ebay and an Arduino programming book "Programming Arduino Getting Started with Sketches". It seems quite a versatile piece of kit although I`ve never tried `C` or `C++` before.

Any other books/web sites you could recommend please?.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Gina

Wondering how you are getting on with the Arduino?. I went to the BAA Radio astro meeting last saturday and this board was mentioned and it seemed interesting so I`ve just ordered a Uno kit off ebay and an Arduino programming book "Programming Arduino Getting Started with Sketches". It seems quite a versatile piece of kit although I`ve never tried `C` or `C++` before.

Any other books/web sites you could recommend please?.

Thanks

Steve

I have a working camera cooling control system using an Arduino Nano providing full set point temperature control and various modes of operation including off, set point, dew point + 2C, slow warmup (allows any ice formed to evaporate rather than quickly melting to water and possibly causing problems). The Arduino reads temperature and humidity sensors, calculates dew point and controls a Peltier TEC for cooling and the fan speed. Then there is an LCD display of the mode, set point temoperature, box temp, humidity, dew point, cold finger temp, heatsink temp and ambient temperature. Apart from computer control, there is local control with push buttons and pots.

I am also working on an Arduino based weather station and another project to control selection and direction of a number of CCTV cameras we have around our smallholding.

I also got the book you mention which I found very useful to get started. Since gaining experience with Arduinos I've bought a more advanced book - "Arduino Cookbook" which starts off with simpler things and moves on to more advanced projects. I bought the books from Amazon. I hadn't used C or C++ before but was very familiar with many other programming languages so picking it up was no problem for me. The principles are the same but the syntax is different between languages.

Thanks for the info Gina. If you ever have the time I`m sure quite a few folk would be interested in reading a `How to` with your projects !

Steve

I will certainly be posting my progress on here with associated photos and diagrams :) Oh, and in the case of Arduino projects, the sketch.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had a mess with the Raspberry Pi? I have a whole selection of Arduinos in the workshop. The 1284p is a useful device which has a lot more space for sketches and more RAM plus an extra serial port and more connections. If anyone wants help with getting a boot loader on one or making their own PCB design just give me a shout.

Archived