Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Coronado SolarMax II 60 vs PST

jackd

I recently purchased a Coronado PST and love how handy it is and the views are amazing, but I'm really disappointed that I am unable to use myDSLR to image with it...

Is the Coronado SolarMax II 60 RichView with 10mm Blocking Filter really worth the money? Are the views that much better?

And more importantly, would I be able to 'somewhat easily' attach my Nikon D90 DSLR camera to it and take decent images? Or is life in astrophotgraphy a lot more complicated than I realize?

Or should I be looking at a Lundt? My budget max is about $1500...

I believe you can use a DSLR with a PST. What you need to do is take the lense off a 2 x barlow and screw it onto the 1.25 nosepiece which attaches to your T adaptor. You should be able to get focus.

mallorcasaint - I've actually tried what you've suggested. And yes, I had some decent shots but I'm just not happy with the results.

You can use a DSLR on the PST but you need something like a Hyperion 8-24mm zoom eyepiece. It does produce some nice images http://www.photosbyk...-solar-imaging/

It looks like you've mastered your PST! I would be THRILLED if I could take images like those on your site...

I've been looking around on AMAZON for the Hyperion 8-24mm zoom eyepiece you suggest, but there are several different models. Could you possibly post a link to the one that you use?

I used the Baader mkiii version but Keith says Seben do a cheaper version

So this is what you are using, for $288.95?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Baader-Planetarium-Hyperion-8-24mm-Click-Stop-Zoom-Mark-III-1-25-Eyepiece-/221019828269?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3375cef02d#ht_3536wt_1140

I googled the Seben 8 - 24mm zoom and can't seem to find it anywhere for sale...?

That's the one. You will need the adaptor that screws into the top of the EP. Remember the mkii and mkiii adaptors are different

I'm thinking about ordering this EP tonight... Where can I find an adapter?

Archived