NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC 6992 Veil Nebula

SamAndrew

Got out last night to do some imaging for the first time since the end of May :D

I've had a few technical problems that I've been trying to sort out since switching computers; my EQ6 slews the opposite way to the commands given by Cartes du ceil. I'd hoped that reinstalling the drivers would sort things out, but still no luck, so I was left to find things the old fashioned way again :)

The clouds cleared around 12:30, and I got setup with the Quattro, and pointed it towards the Pelican Nebula, and set off a 2 hour imaging run.

Everything went faultlessly; the camera temperature settled out at a toasty 31 degrees (I really need to follow the work of Gina and others and sort out some cooling) and the last picture completed as astronomical darkness came to and end.

I then moved on and took a few snaps of part of the Veil while I did a qucik stack of the evenings (early morning) bounty before bed.

I've just been going through the photos over lunch, and discovered that in my haste to get some sleep, I've gone and stacked the Pelican Nebula using some olds flats from my equniox 80, doh !

The raw data is on my observatory computer and I wont be home to access it again for a week :(

But after an exciting night back outside imaging, I feel I still want to share something, so here is the 3x5 minutes subs of the Veil instead.

Only done some light processing with DSS so far; need to get it into photoshop and adjust the background a bit. Critique welcome

Veil120725AdjustedTIF.jpg

Very nice and great potential :) There's plenty of data in there and you will be able to bring out more detail and improve the contrast with processing. I find PS great for that.

Archived