Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M31, M51 and M57!

asteele3

I went out there at 21:45 and I didn't come in until 23:45. However, it didn't great properly dark until 22:30 and by that time I still couldn't see why my polar alignment weren't working. After a few attempts I thought like giving up but I read through a step by step guide and I tried the 3 star alignment one more time. First it went to Alkaid and it was out by a fair amount so I moved it to the centre of the eyepiece and then chose the second star as Dubhe and it went straight in the centre. I then told it to go to Vega which I thought would be tricky as it's a lot higher up than the other two and it was out by a little bit but when I centred that in the eyepiece, it then went to every target I wanted and it was always in the eyepiece! At least I know how to do it EVERYTIME now haha.

Fingers crossed (although I do need a rest soon but I'm not turning down any clear sky) that tonight and tomorrow night will be clear again for me. I tried to image the Eagle Nebula last night as well but all I got was a nice little group of stars and nothing more?? Is it impossible to image that without a filter?

My main target last night was the ring nebula as I love the colours from it, so you can probably guess what I was like when I managed to get an image of it! 4/108 messiers down, 104 to go!

I had a short run on the Eagle last night (or rather early this morning) until it went behind the trees. I did use a CLS filter to stop light pollution, as it's right above our nearest town and low in the sky.

Archived