NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M17, the Omega or Swan Nebula

laser_jock99

Good one. With that lens you could frame this with the Eagle in there as well.

There's a bit of free software that would lift this image. Hasta La Vista Green on Rogelio Bernal Andreo's Deep Sky Colors website. Pixinsight also has SCNR Green which would do it.

Olly

Good one. With that lens you could frame this with the Eagle in there as well.

There's a bit of free software that would lift this image. Hasta La Vista Green on Rogelio Bernal Andreo's Deep Sky Colors website. Pixinsight also has SCNR Green which would do it.

Olly

Thanks- might give that a try, the green channel always seems noiser than red or blue. Is there a technical reason for that?

Thanks- might give that a try, the green channel always seems noiser than red or blue. Is there a technical reason for that?

Is it because Bayer Matric filters have two green pixels to one red and one blue? Also green is usually very out of place in an astrophoto, certain planetaries excepted, so it tends to jar. I always apply SCNR green in Pixinsight.

Olly

Is it because Bayer Matric filters have two green pixels to one red and one blue? Also green is usually very out of place in an astrophoto, certain planetaries excepted, so it tends to jar. I always apply SCNR green in Pixinsight.

Olly

Thought it might be something to do with the number of green recording pixels. Am I correct in thinking a lot of natural airglow is in the green region too?

Re: Hasta La Vista, Green- I don't have Photoshop. But I'm guessing it's a noise reduction, level reduction and re-blend of the green channel data?

Here's my own version of Hasta La Vista Green- which involved a bit of jiggery pokery in the green layer to smooth it out, without losing stars;

Dscf5101_HLVG.jpg

Edit- I forgot to turn it the right way up!!

Archived