astrophotography set up.

Hi

Now that I've decided that EQ5 will be the mount that I can currently afford (cost+portability), I have a decision to make on the choice of scope to go with it. I would prefer an 8" reflector, but the general opinion seems to be that an 8" reflector + fuji s2pro will push the EQ5 to its limit. So, if I decide to go the reflector way, is there anyway by which I can achieve an imaging set up? I dont mind buying a more light weight sort of a camera capable of long exposure imaging. I've seen the meade DSI go fairly cheap, for example. I would really appreciate some suggestions in this regard.

Thanks and regards,

Prasad

I suppose the first question is 'what type of imaging' are you planning on doing .

I would get yourself a webcam and have a go the Moon / Planets to see how your setup comes with that,then go the Dsi route and then onwards and upwards.

I would have to agree with Steve, get youself a webcam and if you can afford it get one that is modded. A modded SC1 webcam should allow exposures of up to 30 seconds although this does not sound much (when you look at some of the exposure time of the images here) I think this will be around the limit of the EQ5 mount, and you can stack them to increase the total exposure time.

I currently have an 8" Newt with a Willliam Optics ZS66 piggybacked. I am sure it is way over the limit but will have to do until I can afford and HEQ5.

Hello,

I am looking at doing some deep sky imaging at somepoint of time, but I suppose, planets/moon is the logical place to start. Can I tag a light weight camera (A DSI perhaps?) to the setup?

If this set up wont work for deep sky imaging, then, will a short tube refractor work,if I piggy back it on a 6" Newt?

Sorry about the queries, but I am trying to get a balance between price, portability and "exposure" possible..

Cheers,

Prasad

Looks like you are going to do the same as me! I bought a ToUCam webcam (Very similer to the DSI) and started imaging the moon and Saturn last year. About 6 months ago I modified this webcam for long exposure images. This year I bought a WIlliam Optics ZS66 and have now got it biggy backed, this willnot be used for imaging along with a focal reducer to widen the field of view.

Hi Steve,

It is a driven mount which I am going to pick up off Ian (Lunator) hopefully soon.

This year I bought a WIlliam Optics ZS66 and have now got it biggy backed, this willnot be used for imaging along with a focal reducer to widen the field of view.

will "not" or will "now"??

Also, I've been able to find that the mount can take upto 9 kilos without any problems, but I have not been able to find the weight of a C8Newt.

Can anyone tell me what is the wt of a C8 Newt..

Cheers,

Prasad

Cheers,

Prasad

Well as soon as you've gotten the mount sorted, I'll loan you that Celestron 102SLT we talked about - and if you're a REALLY good boy, now that I have my ATIK coming, I'm going to have an Orion Starshoot DSI spare that you may as well borrow too. :wink:

This won't be the best astrophotography setup by any means, but it should be enough for you to 'learn the ropes' with - and start to make some inroads into focussing, capture and processing.

Chris

Hi there,

I use an EQ5 mount for imaging with my Megres SD80 II for widefield astro stuff it's great for the easier to find brighter things !, I use a digital SLR (Canon 350D), which I find a great camera (can also piggyback it on the scope for really wide field stuff !), with a casual polar align, using the Megrez, 30 second exposures are easy, every one will be spot on, no trailing, 60 second exposures are a 7 or 8 out of ten success rate, 90 second exposures are a 4 or 5 out of ten success rate, I'm sure all these could be improved on with better polar alignment, in my experience the EQ5 is a great mount, reasonably portable, can hold a decent load (for what it is), and cheap !

Have also used it with my G8N with a Mead DSI and the 350D but just didn't like the images I got out of it, (more the fault of the scope I think as it's a great visual scope, bot not really made for imaging)

So to some up in my experience

EQ5 + Small refractor + Digital SLR = loads of fun !

Alan

and if you're a REALLY good boy, now that I have my ATIK coming, I'm going to have an Orion Starshoot DSI spare that you may as well borrow too. Smile

I will be a good boy.. really really good boy.. I will be a

Cheers,

Prasad

...and he quitely curls up in a corner turning the telly off.

Archived