Milky Way Tenerife

Snappermark

Hi All

Im planning a trip next year to Tenerife to photograph the Milky Way.

Has anyone been? best time of the year to go summer when the Milky way is overhead but sorter nights. Or winter time with longer nights with it lower in the sky.

Any advice help would be much appreciated,

I see there is a hotel near Teide so will make a good base Parador Hotel Canadas del Teide

Thanks for your time

Mark

If the MW is your main aim, I'd go during the summer. However, that IS the peak tourist time, so expect prices to rise accordingly. If you stay at the Parador (I've been there twice) then you'll be above the low clouds, which will also shield you from LP off the resorts - though you can get the occasional sandstorm blowing in from Africa, which spoils the view. So far as shorter nights are concerned, the closer you are to the equator the less difference there is between winter and summer day/night lengths. So you should still get plenty of darkness.

If I were you, I'd load up Stellarium, set the location for Tenerife and check out the views and "what's up" at various dates and times.

I was in Tenerife earlier this year and saw some leaflets for a tour operator that run 'stargazing with experts' nights from the top of Mount Teide. Don't know how good they are but may be worth trying to look them up to find out what you can see and when etc.?

I can see the Milky Way from a suburban location at sea level in Tenerife, there is far less light and air pollution. The views from a higher and darker location are simply stunning. As mentioned already, it gets dark much earlier in the Summer than it does in the UK.

Hope so, even though I will loose out with the smaller aperture the lack of LP should make up for it.

I have also flocked the main tube and inner sight tube and the increase in contrast was quite amazing (especially when birdwatching in the daytime)

Could I ask what kind of kit you guys would take to Tenerife.

Here's a photo of the last time I went. I tagged along with a group of german amateurs who go there on occasion.I took a little ETX125, which you can barely make out in the foreground. It's overshadowed by the 25inch dob. I'm told that folds down nicely as hand baggage ;)

Most of the "seasoned" observers had scopes in the 8-inch class, plus extra kit for imaging and some very nice selections of eyepieces and camera lenses.

post-651-0-93857000-1343047240_thumb.jpg

Archived