Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lunt 60 but what config?

bricks1000

Hi,

Over the past month I have been considering buying an Ha Solar Scope, I have now decided on a Lunt 60.

Albeit these are expensive Telescopes, I am trying to keep the cost as low as possible. I will definately be wanting to image with the scope, so as far as I understand from research/reviews, I will be needing the B1200 version?

I'm also interested as to how much better the PT version is, I have read a few reviews of people who say its great, but I'd really like some more opinions, especially if anyone has used the scope with and without the PT.

This is alot of money to spend on a scope, and I'd like to make sure I get the best bang for buck possible for imaging purposes.

Best Regards,

Graham.

I've bought one in the last week (yet to use it yet!) as my first solarscope. You'll be needing the BF1200 for imaging. If you can stretch it, upgrade the focuser too...the standard Crayford is naff (especially on a £2K piece of equipment). There seems to be some other options (Moonlite and possibly a Baader Steeltrack) that I am looking into.

Hopefull, tomorrow will see us with some sun, and I'll be able to give you some impressions.

Ohhh, and Ian King was the cheapest place that I could find. £1955 for the L60 with pressure tuner, BF1200, Sol Searcher and small dovetail. Green Witch were £2125 without the extras and had no stock. 365 Astronomy were about the same price as Ian King, but were incredibly vague on delivery ( 3-4 weeks, could be longer). Ian King had it with me a week after ordering.

• 1 month later...

I particularly like the fact that you don't have to tilt anything to bring different features out on the surface and limb. Compressing the air between filters to change it's refractive index means you can get very sharp on the feature you're looking at. The surface really comes alive. It does beg a better focuser though to go with the added accuracy of the PT. If you double stack it don't put the 50mm on a 60mm scope - I tried and it doesn't work - use a 60mm d/s. I agree with the B1200 for imaging.

I can only compare it with a basic PST or an all singing/dancing double stacked 26 grand TV setup. It's in between is all I can say - all poles apart. Check out Steve Ramsdens site for good comparisons - there's very little he doesn't know about solar scopes. :)

http://www.stephenramsden.com/solarastrophotography/pages/reviews.html

Archived