Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

identifying Vixen GP stepper

Sponcom

Evening

Not being familiar with Vixen drive motors I picked up a couple of vixen motors that were described as MT-1's for my vixen GP. I hopedI might be able to get hold of a cheap skysensor handset or dual axis controller and in my search found out that the skysensor only works on MT-4 motors.

My motors are not marked in with any identity numbers but they do look like the images of MT-4's I have found on the internet such as the attached one below. Is there any way to tell a MT1 from an MT4 visually? The motor has an 8 pin connector of if that helps.

If I can identify that they are actually MT-4's I may continue my search for a used skysensor controller otherwise I will investigate building a stepper controller as the vixen dual axis controllers seem a bit on the steep size.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks, Paul

post-2986-0-47824900-1342119671_thumb.jp

I have a vague feeling that you may have been the kind donor of the old Skysensor 3 that I had until quite recently. That operated with MT1 motors, but I think you're right that the SS2K (if that's what you have) only works with MT4 motors. I eventually gave up of the SS3 and went for a Synscan kit - about which I have very mixed feelings.

MT1 is smaller and not as wide as the mount RA axis and about the same width as the dec axis. It can fits inside the standard GP RA motor box. MT4 and SBS motors are wider then the mount axis. Vixen uses microphone cable on all their motors so it is not a good way to tell which is which. MT1 needs clutches to operate, while MT4 doesn't have clutch.

It's best to post a photo of your motor.

If you only want a dual axis drive, you can use Skywatcher EQ5 motors and controller, you don't have to use Vixen own dual axis kit. An alternative is this TS dual axis drive

http://www.teleskop-...---2achsig.html

According to my colleagues at Vixen in Japan, the motor drives used on the MT-4 motor set were Tsukasa units with part numbers beginning TG-35L. There are also MT-2 motor sets which are compatible with the SS2K (using similar x100 encoder motor drives from Tsukasa).

Please be aware that there are no spare parts of any kind available from Vixen for the Skysensor controllers. We are seeing an increasing number of these units needing some TLC either due to the internal battery running out or because the cable loom has failed - we have just one replacement cable loom left in stock and no batteries.

Vixen has told us that the Skysensor controllers in all the various guises that were sold are now no longer supported - they have no spares and will not accept any units for out of warranty repair.

Cheers, Pete

Pete, just out of interest, is the SS2K's internal battery user replaceable?

I have SS2K on one of my GPDX and I guess it's only a matter of time before the internal battery runs flat. I want to prepare for that eventuality.

When I was browsing Vixen's Japan site, they list GP2 and GPD2 + SBS package as discontinued. Are they discontinuing the SBS or just the package?

http://translate.goo...pd2.htm&act=url

http://translate.goo...o.jp/at/gp2.htm

If they are discontinuing SBS, will the replacement be compatible with the current SBS motors?

Thanks

Archived