Batteries not included

I am rather keen to get on of these SkyWatcher Electric Dual-Speed Auto-Focuser, which apparently relies on a single 9v battery. Does anyone have one? If so so how long do the batteries last please, and is it possible to power it through a power tank type of power source?

Also, do you find it useful?

Any help will be appreciated.

I am rather keen to get on of these SkyWatcher Electric Dual-Speed Auto-Focuser, which apparently relies on a single 9v battery. Does anyone have one? If so so how long do the batteries last please, and is it possible to power it through a power tank type of power source?

Also, do you find it useful?

Any help will be appreciated.

recently saw one of theses in FLO..another site says its powered by 1 9v battery ,doesnt look like it has any other way to power it though...It was model specific though so need to check if it fits.there is something called a Hitecastro dc focus unit that usbs to a laptop and controls the sky watcher auto focuser,but I am not sure how yhey all connect and work..(sorry bit of a noob) just spotted em whilst window shopping..Both of these products were at FLO under the CABLES LEADS and CONTROLLERS heading...hope this helps...

Hi Richard, I use one, not dual speed but a variable speed one, it's 9v, I have converted it by adding a 9v battery box to allow me to either use the battery or power from other sources, have used solar and mains adapter, hope that helps.

Jim

Hi Richard, I use one, not dual speed but a variable speed one, it's 9v, I have converted it by adding a 9v battery box to allow me to either use the battery or power from other sources, have used solar and mains adapter, hope that helps.

Jim

Thanks Jim, might be after some advice later then. :grin:

I have one. There's no external power input and in fact it's pretty tight getting an PP9 battery in. Didn't let that stop me "improving" it however:

http://www.tanstaafl...-motor-focuser/

James

Thanks James for info and for the link. My electrical skills are minimal but will have a read and see what can be done.

Do you find the battery last long though? If they last well then the mains unit isn't so important and I can get some rechareable PP9's to make life easier.

Sorry Richard, should have mentioned, once I have focused then that would be it for the evening unless something was pushed out of place, the battery will last quite awhile but I have always taken the battery out to use in other places when not required. The battery compartment is tight, reason I went for a 9v box with switch, between box and focuser I placed cable connectors and can swap power sources around as necessary.

Jim

I've had this mod for most of this year, but my recollection is that the batteries last a fair while. Rechargeables can be a bit iffy when they get cold so I don't know how you'd do with those in the depths of winter, but you're not turning the motor that much. It probably gets far less use now I'm using it mostly for imaging than when I had it on the ST102 for visual use and I was swapping eyepieces regularly.

James

So they hold focus OK do they Jim? I ask as I will either have a DSLR at prime focus, or on a diagonal and attached to a Baader Hyperion lens, so the weight is quite hefty and at the moment the focuser slip a bit unless I have the focuser lock on tightly. i was going to change the focuse for a 10:1 crayford but have been told that is not necessarily a good idea as they don't handle the weight too well. Can't afford a steeltrack so it will have to be the Skywatcher refractor crayford if I get one/

I've had this mod for most of this year, but my recollection is that the batteries last a fair while. Rechargeables can be a bit iffy when they get cold so I don't know how you'd do with those in the depths of winter, but you're not turning the motor that much. It probably gets far less use now I'm using it mostly for imaging than when I had it on the ST102 for visual use and I was swapping eyepieces regularly.

James

Thanks for that James, didn't realise that was the case with cold rechargeables. Interesting.

I've fitted them on the 200PDS , the ED 80 Pro and the ST120 ,

I use a USB focus controller run from my laptop , the finesse is amazing , probably 7 times finer touch than the stock hand controller on its slowest setting.

Have had one on the 200PDS for 2 years an still on 1st battery , so no real worries there.

And not experienced any slippage with 1000D hanging out the back even aiming zenith-wise .

Steve.

you could use a pulse width modulator from maplins or the like and run it from your power tank. pwm alters the voltage not the reistance(amps) like a variable resistor so you could set your volts to 9v job done

I've fitted them on the 200PDS , the ED 80 Pro and the ST120 ,

I use a USB focus controller run from my laptop , the finesse is amazing , probably 7 times finer touch than the stock hand controller on its slowest setting.

Have had one on the 200PDS for 2 years an still on 1st battery , so no real worries there.

And not experienced any slippage with 1000D hanging out the back even aiming zenith-wise .

Steve.

Thanks Steve, good news all round then especiallythe battery life. I do get fed up with AA's packing up and buy them in 24's now :eek: :eek:

you could use a pulse width modulator from maplins or the like and run it from your power tank. pwm alters the voltage not the reistance(amps) like a variable resistor so you could set your volts to 9v job done

Will look into that as well, thanks for the tip off. :laugh: :laugh:

Archived