Setting up for solar imaging

Hi all,

Just wondered about setting up for solar imaging due to my new 250pds which is a month old is only capable of seeing clouds at night.

So if I wanted to do some solar imaging how do you set the mount up during the day ?

How do you polar align the mount when you cant see polaris

( I know at the moment you cant even see the sun which makes the whole process pointless)

Kev.

Obviously make sure that you have an appropriate solar filter over the aperture of the scope - don't use eyepiece ones as these can crack causing serious eye damage...

Then you can do a rough polar align as said above. I haven't made a solar filter for my finder so I look down the focuser tube without an eyepiece fitted and then slew the mount to roughly get the solar disc in the middle... then use a collimation cap to further refine... then a reasonably wide angle eyepiece. This works for me.

HTH

Archived