NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

anti higgs boson ?

a lit candle can only give off photons if it is moving slow then the speed of light

A candle cannot go at the speed of light while it has mass so your suggestion cannot be tested.

The point is that a hydrogen atom would fall apart if the proton and the electron somehow lost their mass.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A candle cannot go at the speed of light while it has mass so your suggestion cannot be tested.

The point is that a hydrogen atom would fall apart if the proton and the electron somehow lost their mass.

i know a candle cant travel at the speed of light why it as mass thats why! am talking about manipulating the higgs field

mass is just enegy that has been bound in mass e=mc2

The problem with speculation is one never knows how many well-established principles one should throw overboard. I think your suggestion of manipulating the Higgs field would need huge temperatures (or energy densities) and would make matter unstable so I can't see how it can be useful for anything other than blowing the universe up.

The best argument against "warp speed" stuff is that we see no evidence of these aliens that would be making use of it. Ok, we could be the first, in 100 billion stars, in 100 billion galaxies to stumble across it. I wouldn't put much money on that.

The problem with speculation is one never knows how many well-established principles one should throw overboard. I think your suggestion of manipulating the Higgs field would need huge temperatures (or energy densities) and would make matter unstable so I can't see how it can be useful for anything other than blowing the universe up.

The best argument against "warp speed" stuff is that we see no evidence of these aliens that would be making use of it. Ok, we could be the first, in 100 billion stars, in 100 billion galaxies to stumble across it. I wouldn't put much money on that.

manipulating the higgs field was just a idea but so was so many others like powered flight, going to the moon

you have got to have a idea before you can test it !

also how are you sure alien races arent already using it ?

chances are there are races millons of years more advanced than we are

maybe?

If an object was to loose mass would it not also loose atomic structure, as just dissemble into its smallest parts?

Well loosing mass would mean it now travels at the speed of light, but I'm not sure it affects the strong force that binds the nucleus together, or the electromagnetic that binds atoms. So it would depend whether the new energy it gained could overcome the force.

I think its also true that the Higgs only gives a small amount of mass to nucleons, and the rest is given by the binding energy of the quarks, but I don't know if this is accurate or not.

According to theory, the "bulk" Higgs field was not always the non-zero it is now. Like a magnet that when heated loses its magnetism, the vacuum when heated loses its Higgsism. I wouldn't like to find myself in a zero-Higgs background, it would a bit too hot for humans by the odd trillion degrees.

Isnt this all academic? I think whats being talked about here is the possibilty of warp travel combined with light speed. With warp travel the idea is you dont move, instead space time is compressed in fron of you and the decompressed behind you. Sort of like being on a moving walk way. Hence as already pointed out as you dont move there is no issue relating to time difference relative to rest of universe. Now as far as im aware it takes a huge amount of mass to compress and uncompress space time. So if you were to switch off the higgs field (assuming you can pull yourself together) thereby assuming massless form for light travel how would you then generate the huge mass field required to fold space time? Unlikely either are possible other than in theory but certainly dont see how they could be achieved together.

ok i see some problems aswell but nothing is never easy is it ?

if you could manipulate the higgs field you should be fine up to 99% the speed of light

you will still have some mass so you dont fall to bits

that would be still a lot faster than we can travel at the moment

Once you get up to light speed, you are going to squish once you turn mass back on...

Better hope that my ship's anti-mass drive never fails then while I'm travelling at the speed of light.:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so is manipulate the higgs field ok up untill 99% the speed of light?

Well

• We have no idea how to manipulate the Higgs field, so its a little academic. Its like being able to switch off gravity - no idea how to do it!
  • I doubt anyone know quite what happens IF you could change it without knowing more about the fields properties.

Archived