Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

anti higgs boson ?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Higgs is its own antiparticle, so there is no anti Higgs. Switching off the field might be an option - it was off early in the big bang, but it's way beyond what we know how to do right now. If the field was switched off, everything would move at the speed of light.

yes agree with that but!!! what if you could turn the field on and off so when the field is on you could compress space with your mass and then turn the field off so you could travel at speed off light and than cover more distance the just traveling at the speed of light

You appear to be suggesting that you could distort space (actually space-time) with your mass, then "turn off" your mass whilst leaving space-time distorted. Why would it make sense that you could do that? Why would space-time not "undistort" itself as soon as you "turned off" your mass?

James

thinking about it i dont think space would distort back at the speed of light ,because space contains mass as in atoms, gas, planets ,stars

so if you were traveling from one star to another and you could compress space and than turn off your mass

you would travel faster than all the matter could because they have mass and because you turned yours off your spaceship would travel faster just like a sci-fi ftl jump aka faster than light

Mass distorts space, but it doesn't bring things closer together just by its presence. So even if you could turn the Higgs on and off, I don't see how it would let you go faster than light, only at light. You'd also need to have serious words with the laws of conservation of energy I suspect as you would be flipping between creating gravitational potential energy and not, and we never get something for free.

The problem with space travel is not the travel time, we can shrink that down to nothing by going closer and closer to the speed of light. The problem is what happens to everyone else, we return to find them long dead.

Travelling fast in space = travelling into the future time.

Anti-matter has the same garviational properties as matter. It seems that you're thinking of something like Alcubierre's warp drive, which use exotic matter energy. Exotic matter has negative density for at leat some observers.

Suppose you want to go from Eart to star A and back. As themo has said, because of time dilation, this can be done in an arbitrarily short period of time without manipulating spacetime, but, when, you get back, you will find that the Earth has aged much more than you have. Alcubierre's warp drive (published in 1994) expands spacetime behind the ship and contracts spacetime in front of the ship. Using this, you can get to A and back and have the same amount of time pass for you and the people on the Earth.

Problems: no steering allowed during the trip (like a rail lin); some estimates put the amount of exotic needed at more than the mass of the observable universe.

This all just speculative theory, but it is interesting speculative theory that is an area of active research.

as i understand it the higgs boson generates a field thats give matter mass

so if you could manipulate that field you could change from having mass to no mass

there for being able to tavel at the speed of light

now also if you could manipulate that field to wrap space you would be bringing your destination closer to you

Think a bit what "from having mass to no mass" would do to every particle in your body. Yes, they would travel at the speed of light. In all kinds of directions. In other words, you would disintegrate.

how about this ? if you removed your mass your instantly be traveling at the speed of light

so if you are traveling at the speed of light your atoms in your body could not go away because they would have to be moving faster then the speed of light to move a away from you

A candle manages to throw photons at the speed of light in all directions so your argument is not valid. Put another way: losing your mass (ignore for the moment the tremendous release of energy that would entail) means you have no rest frame and none of the particles that make up your body have a rest frame. A clearer case of disintegration is hard to imagine. It would be like you met an antiparticle "you". Lots of zero mass particles, lots of energy, flash, bang.

how about this ? if you removed your mass your instantly be traveling at the speed of light

so if you are traveling at the speed of light your atoms in your body could not go away because they would have to be moving faster then the speed of light to move a away from you

Are we allowed to volunteer a candidate for the Anti-Higgs Tour?

Only as fast as light - as far as we know nothing can exceed that. Its the universal speed limit!

I know that is the current thinking, but I am not too sure we are far enough along the road to enlightenment to say that this with certainty. It as sure as hell looks like it might be the limit from our knowledge point, but who knows ..........

I know that is the current thinking, but I am not too sure we are far enough along the road to enlightenment to say that this with certainty. It as sure as hell looks like it might be the limit from our knowledge point, but who knows ..........

Outside of mathematics, that's pretty much true of any theory!

Archived