NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Carbon nanotube 'blacker than black' paint

LDUNN1

As an update, & to answer James' question, I now know it's not at the point where it can be used for simpler applicaions such as coating the interior of our amateur scopes.

I've been helped by 3 University professors to try & find out more, and in the end I got in contact with the scientists at Nasa actually using the stuff.

The 'paint' application process uses chemical vapour deposition in a vacuum at 750 degs - that's a bit beyond what I can achieve in my home garage ;-)

The very helpful Nasa contact did imply that there is the possibility that this technology may filter down for simpler applications in the future, but for now, it is only possible at the commercial level.

Here is a link to an old news story, which was where I first come to hear about this technology some months ago before I thought of re-coating the interior of my tube:-

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/technology/features/new-nano.html

There have been a number of threads/posts about carbon nanotube (enter "nanotube" in forum search) but as said, it's still experimental hi-tech.

In the meantime a dark site, good telescope baffling and a few strips of Protostar are your best best.

CORRECTION to my post above:-

it is not in a vacuum, just the 750 degs & chemical vapur deposition which makes application tricky for us.

But it would seem that the mail I received from the scientist at Nasa suggests that they are developing it, so you never know.

.......after all, I have an optical cleaning agent called Purosol which was developed by Nasa........

Archived