NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Philips Vesta Pro PCVC 680K Webcam Thoughts ?

Since reasonably priced Philips SPC 900 webcams are a thing of the past does anyone have any thoughts on the older Philip Vesta Pro PCVC 680K webcam ?

According to http://homepage.ntlworld.com/molyned/web-cameras.htm it's sounds pretty promising but do the standard Philips screw-in webcam adaptors fit or does it require a little more "engineering" work to get up and running ?

The Vesta Pro is definitely capable. But i would look for a Toucam Pro II 840K. They too go cheap because people are fixated on the SPC880 and SPC900. But the 840K is internally identical and can be flashed to a SPC900NC. So fully compatible with Windows 7 64bit. I picked up a Toucam Pro II for £20 from Ebay a couple of weeks ago. Only bidder. While at the same time an SPC880 flashed to SPC900 went for a stupid £92.

I'll definitely go for a Toucan Pro II if I can get one (and I am bidding on one at the moment) but it looks to be alot easier to find the Vesta Pro right now so I'm looking at it as a fallback position.

In an ideal world I'm hoping the same webcam adaptor will fit both so if I do get a Vesta Pro I can then directly replace it later with a Toucam and pass the Vesta along to someone else who can make use of it :)

Just checking on the driver issue, the lack of 64-bit windows drivers for the Vesta shouldn't be a problem as I primarily use a Mac so the open-source Macam drivers should work fine.

Another reason the SPCs go for more is the long exposure mod is a lot easier to do for the the average guy. The solder connections are very much smaller on the Toucam so it can be a challenge for all be the steady handed. The SPC has easier to get to pins etc.

I'll definitely go for a Toucan Pro II if I can get one (and I am bidding on one at the moment) but it looks to be alot easier to find the Vesta Pro right now so I'm looking at it as a fallback position.

In an ideal world I'm hoping the same webcam adaptor will fit both so if I do get a Vesta Pro I can then directly replace it later with a Toucam and pass the Vesta along to someone else who can make use of it :)

The webcam adapters did change for SPC900. The thread pitch remains the same but the SPC needs a longer thread than the Toucam. Not sure about the Vesta.

Knowing my skills with a soldering iron (and still having some of the scars to back that up) I wasn't planning to do any LX modding :)

If I want to go down the road later I'll look to buy something that's either pre-modded or will do it out of the box and avoid burning down the house ;)

Knowing my skills with a soldering iron (and still having some of the scars to back that up) I wasn't planning to do any LX modding :)

If I want to go down the road later I'll look to buy something that's either pre-modded or will do it out of the box and avoid burning down the house ;)

Yeah that's what I did lol, I looked inside and thought 'I'll just buy a modded one', I did sell my Toucam on ebay though and it went for £68. I only paid £70 for a modded one so I was pleased with that at the time.

This site will give you an insight into which webcams are good

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/molyned/web-cameras.htm

I've converted a few in the past (and destroyed the odd one.....oops) the one you're looking at was easy(although i did kill one while doing the LX mod, scapel slipped and cut off a few IC legs right at the base).

Go for it.

• 8 months later...

The Vesta Pro is definitely capable. But i would look for a Toucam Pro II 840K. They too go cheap because people are fixated on the SPC880 and SPC900. But the 840K is internally identical and can be flashed to a SPC900NC. So fully compatible with Windows 7 64bit. I picked up a Toucam Pro II for £20 from Ebay a couple of weeks ago. Only bidder. While at the same time an SPC880 flashed to SPC900 went for a stupid £92.

Hi

do you have a link to the files needed to flash an 840k, just so I know im using the correct ones.

Many thanks

Archived