NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Moon filters

I know you can buy moon filters, but for the time being I'm trying to improvise :clouds2:.

Yesterday, because the moon to me was the perfect sight I wanted to take a picture, so with my 10x50s' on my tripod, and my digital camera at the eye piece I tried, you have got to give 10/10 for trying. But to my disappointment, I realised that the light from the moon was far too bright. So to try and combat this problem, I put my sun glasses on the end of the binns :clouds2: Come on surely you've all been there??? No?......ok

Well my question is, is there something I can use other than buying a filter? The sunglasses nearly worked!

Just try and humour me please :clouds2:

Caz :sunny:

Make an aperture mask, by cutting a hole in a piece of card, about half the diameter of the objectives. Then work out a way to fix this over the end of one of the lenses. (I put tabs on mine, and hold them with an elastic.) This will reduce the light by a factor of 4.

:clouds2:

I like the aperture mask route, it effectivly gives you a smaller aperture and longer focal ratio system. That means that you are only getting light from the central portion of the lens, so the images will be as good as possible. False colour may also be reduced.

The problem with sunglasses is that you are introducing another layer between the object and the camera, which may increase distortions and mask detail.

Its amazing how blinding the moon can be in binoculars. I had a spare pair of lens caps, so I made aperture masks simply by making holes in my spare pair. Cutting 50mm binos down to 30mm/25mm should do nicely. The great thing is that you can make different masks cheaply and easily to suit different conditions.

If you do use sunglasses, try not to use heavily curved ones, make sure they are very clean. Also you could see if the camera has a monochrome setting and experiment with that. That would allow you to use any colour of filter.

Good luck, frustrating but fun!

Some good points PW,

Caz, assuming we are talking about your Newtonian scope, if you take the aperture mask route you will need to place the aperture between the spider vanes (secondary mirror supports) otherwise the secondary (small 45 degree mirror at the front) will be in the way.  Some lens caps supplied with Newtonians have an aperture pre-cut for this purpose.  Placed between the vanes, the smaller aperture will increase contrast (as there is no obstruction to the light) but reduce definition (definition is linked to aperture size ... an optical physics thing!). 

Also, when you do buy a moon filter it is best to choose one that is neutral-density (does not effect colour); the Meade ND76 is ideal. 

Hope that helps,

Steve :clouds2:

I thought Caz wanted a filter for her Binos? hence my Rubbish ideas  :clouds2:

No James, its me!  I have just re-read the first post and Caz is talking about bins. 

In which case, go to your local camera shop or photographic studio, put on your sweetest smile and ask if they have an offcut of neutral-density film.  Or, tape a piece of clear/developed film over the eyepieces. 

Steve :clouds2:

I have trouble holding the damned things still, too, Caz. What I have often done is taken a garden tool with a long handle, and braced the binoculars against it. It's less complicated than a tripod, and works quite well. If you use a long-handled shovle, you can use it to bash anyone who makes fun of you. :clouds2:

Also, a good stiff drink can help reduce the shaking.

Archived