Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M82/M27 + Hercules clusters with 6se

Azelfafage

Threw off my other commitments last night & got some more time with the new scope, so got in some DSO's & advanced a bit more along the Goto learning curve :(

So far so good, except that I started out accompanied by fireworks, let off nearby by some lowlife, then I packed up at 12.15am as further lowlife decided to start a bonfire a couple of streets away. :(

As far as observing goes, I aligned on Polaris & Rasalhague (IMHO, a reasonably bright alternative to Altair/Arcturus that doesn't seem to get mentioned much).

Saw M82 this time & am unlikely to forget where it is now :). (An earlier post refers to my difficulty in finding it - I could kick myself :x)

I can see why some have likened it to a cigar.

A new target was M27 - saw there was something different about it, but it just seemed a featureless blob, although it must be admitted that the nearly full moon near the S. horizon may not have helped (not that I could see that, as a tree blocks most of the view below 30D). I'll have to wait another time to try & get a better perspective.

Spent more time looking at M13 & M92 and now my eyes are a little more trained, I was able to appreciate the difference. M13 is obviously bigger, but M92 looks prettier & I thought the core seems more prominent. Put me down for the M92 fan club 8)

I was going to try & split the double-double when said fire was started about 2 streets away, so although the smoke wasn't obscuring much of the sky, I thought it prudent to pack up. As I did so, I noticed dew starting to form on the front plate, so it was just as well (still waiting for my Astrozap, BTW ...... hello Steve? :D )

A good session overall, if you leave out the human annoyances. The DSO's viewed seemed unaffected by the moonglow, with the possible exception mentioned above. Scope performed well & I seem to have the hang of this backlash thing (famous last words)? :(

Regards,

A

Thank you Mr g, when I saw you had responded, I first thought you were telling me I was being censored :D for using the term "lowlife". As it happens, I put an amended version of what happened, on Cloudy Nights & I used the word "moron" - they censored that out.

I think next time I'm glued to the ep, trying to detect something elusive & I experience a similar performance, the words will be somewhat stronger, although confined to my back garden. :x

Isn't it a zero-tolerance jail job in the US for letting off fireworks indiscriminately?

Regards,

A

Fireworks are illegal in most states, but I think you can still get them in Kentucky. Fire departments have no sense of humor in Arizona, especially due to the 10 year drought conditions.

I find M51 much smaller than 81/82 and easy to miss. Add an extra dollop of patience to your coffee before going after it. HTH.

Thanks for the tip on M51 Astroman. Next time I go out, I'll preface things with pulling up a homegrown carrot, wash & peel it & then munch on it while the scope is doing its stuff - should help with the fainter objects. :D

Regards,

A

Archived