Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Synscan change to different EQ

Hi,

I have an EQ3-4 mount with motors. I also have an EQ 3-2 with synscan upgrade from Syntrek. I would like to use this synscan on the EQ3-4. Is the mod possible? Will the bits from the EQ3-2 fit the EQ 3-4?

Any advice in this instance would be good advice, even though all good advice is usually fatal!! :grin:

Is there a EQ3-4 mount ? never heard of that one.

The EQ mounts are EQ3-2 (sometimes also known as EQ3), EQ4, EQ5 (the EQ4 is basically an EQ5 on the EQ3-2 tripod), HEQ5 and EQ6. The EQ4 and EQ5 share the same gear ratios and it should be possible to convert the old EQ4 to goto using the EQ5 upgrade. The EQ3-2 mounts have a different gear ratio and are not comptable with the EQ4 or EQ5 mounts.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for that information. Never had an EQ3 until this one. It is an EQ3. I also have the EQ4, but I now know, thanks to you, that the two are incompatible. I will just have to use the EQ3 with goto and save the EQ4 for taking out. The EQ3 will stand on my steel concreted in pier in my observatory, where I will mount my 150 Pro skywatcher Maksutov. Should be OK I think. :grin:

OK I take advice from those in the know. So my EQ3 should go, then.Pity, I had great hopes for it. :sad: I will stick to my EQ5 for now, and hope to raise enough to upgrade to synscan. I presume that is a goer? It already has new motors and handset, unused as yet, I installed it three weeks ago. Another dead £100! Thanks for the input. Much appreciated. :grin:

Archived