NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Some advice second-hand telescope for beginner

You can get good second hand buys, classifieds on here are not always the cheapest way to buy a scope suitable for a beginner.

Good luck with your meade, assuming you buy it, I hope it will bring you pleasure and enough views to know whether you want to invest in a serious bit of kit or not. Usually the worst thing with cheap scopes is the horrible wobbly mount, so if you find the mount is rubbish, don't think that all scopes are like that.

The reason a lot of people like dobs is because you dont get the wobbly shaky mount business and all the money it costs goes on the optics. They are also fairly bomb proof, at least in my experience. You can scour ebay for a second hand one, ideally a skyliner 150 or 200.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

Another linky for you if you want to go down the binocular route:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/153464-50-binocular-recommendations/#entry1548901

I can also recommend the following books, I use both:

Turn Left At Orion, 4th Edition. This is my main book and is aimed at beginners as well as intermediate astronomers.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_22/275-8697703-7943220?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=turn+left+at+orion+4th+edition&sprefix=turn+left+at+orion+4th%2Cstripbooks%2C319

Sky & Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas. A5-sized guide that I keep in my eyepiece case for use in the field.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_5?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=sky+%26+telescope%27s+pocket+sky+atlas&sprefix=sky+%26%2Cstripbooks%2C1178

HTH!

Hi Midjam, if you're suspicious of going for a second hand scope, why not go for a brand new one? :grin: The Skywatcher Heritage 130p is a great scope, compact, good mirror, cheap, and very portable. They retail for around £130, and would probably suit you down to the ground. You can always sell it on for around £90 if you find you love stargazing, because Skywatcher is a top-class brand and the heritage is a popular scope. There's a review here ... and there's a second hand one here, but it's only 30 quid cheaper than buying new!

So my two pennies, as a fellow noob, are: forget all three telescopes you suggested, they look like hobby breakers (kit that disappoints you, is unwieldy, never gets used, and tars the fledgling hobby by association), especially the bushnell and jessops ones! The heritage is a doddle to set up and put away, in comparison, because it's mounted on a very friendly dob base...

I brought the meade, sorry couldn't resist :)

Took it in the back garden last night as had a fairly clear night, I noticied that it was pretty stiff when adjusting and found it hard to line up with any stars.

I had the day off today so, got stuck in to re-conditioning this thing and with a ton of grease, a lot of patience and online research I'm pretty happy with the results.

Had to take the mount apart completely and take out the mirrors as it had dust on it which looked like it had been there a long time (I was very careful, did the research), the collimation was a bit of a pain in the ass but, got there in the end.

I lined it up earlier to a bush at the back of my very large back garden and it looked great, when I put the 9mm in I could even see a caterpillar crawling up a stem. Blew me away!!! Can't wait for the next clear night!

Thanks again guy for all the advice.

Right midjam, you sound like a resousful fellow as you have spotted the main weekness with these scopes, the mount, they are dreadfull things packed out with the gloopiest muck. If you find a cheepish TAL mount the put your scope on that, your enjoyment will improve 100%.

PM me on where you live as I have a TAL mount.

Yeah, the old stuff was like glue!!. It's nice and smooth now, I can see it's not the best quality but, should do me fine for now. I'm afraid I live a little too far away from essex, I'm in sunny Bournemouth.

Good work! That Meade looks pretty good for 60 squid, def. the pick of the three you posted, and if you've got the cheap mount working okay then you're doing very well.

I just received my Vixen Porta II mount this morning, I am a very excited 10 year old again :laugh:

Good gazing to you!

Well it was a fairly clear night last night had to fight with the passing clouds but, got to see the moon in the best detail I have ever seen in my life, Absolutely incredible!

I could only see one other star and according Stellarium it was in the general area of Saturn so, lined up the scope and even with the 25mm in I got to see Saturn and it's rings, WOW I was actually seeing a planet with my own eyes! tried the 9mm and it was a little better but, then the clouds rolled in and it was over.

I'm so glad I took the risk, I think £60 for the ability to see a planet and the moon in such detail was well worth it!

Can't wait for more clear skies!

p.s already thinking of upgrading :)

Well it was a fairly clear night last night had to fight with the passing clouds but, got to see the moon in the best detail I have ever seen in my life, Absolutely incredible!

I could only see one other star and according Stellarium it was in the general area of Saturn so, lined up the scope and even with the 25mm in I got to see Saturn and it's rings, WOW I was actually seeing a planet with my own eyes! tried the 9mm and it was a little better but, then the clouds rolled in and it was over.

I'm so glad I took the risk, I think £60 for the ability to see a planet and the moon in such detail was well worth it!

Can't wait for more clear skies!

p.s already thinking of upgrading :)

:grin: Another scopaholic added to the ranks

Archived