NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The M5 Starcluster

Magic

Yesterday there was a little bit of clear sky and i was determined to see my first deep space :D

I went out, and after about 40 minutes of trying to find it through my dobsonion, i finally found the M5.

Unfortunatly though it really was very hard to see. It was just a little grey smudge really. Im not sure if this is because the conditions were not great but also....How does the M5 Compare to the M13 in your opinions? Both being Star clusters. I haven't tried to spot the M13 yet but im curious if it is easier to spot than the M5 which i really found extremely difficult.

What aperture scope were you using and what magnification ?

M5 looks great through my 10" newtonian at around 80x - 100x. Plenty of stars resolved across the cluster. Not quite as magnificent as M13 perhaps but not far off.

Hi John,

I was using a skywatcher skyliner 150p 6" Dob with a 10mm + barlow 2x. Also tried the 30mm eyepiece with the barlow which in my opinion worked better. It had basically no detail at all though, just a smudge. To be fair though the conditions were far from great. Cant wait to try the M13 :)

Yes , forget the barlow for now as using it with the 10mm is way to much magnification and small field of view for any one to find anything , experts included .

Start with the 25mm eyepiece to find you object ( low power = larger field of view) then just look at it for a while , see what way it drifts across the field of view , that way when you put in the 10mm , more power / smaller field you have an idea as to what way the oblect is going to drift , you will notice it moves across the 10mm field fairly quickly , be ready for it .. it will move fast .

Most of all take your time , use the 25mm eyepiece to start with , and most of all enjoy .

Oh yea nice starter scope you have there and please let us know how you get on .

Brian.

Archived