NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

June 16-17, 2012: Another short session with bins

Yesterday the sky was very clear, so I hooked out the Helios 15x70 bins to have a quick midnight session. I first picked up Saturn, and these bins showed its distinctive shape quite easily. I then picked up M13 and M92 in Hercules. Despite the grey background they both showed up quite easily. M13 even seemed to sparkle a bit in averted vision. After some effort I then picked up M51, very difficult in this grey light, but just visible in averted vision. M3 was easy by contrast. After an abortive attempt at M57 (needs more magnification to identify properly), I picked up M27 quite readily. After that, the Helios bins seemed to become a bit heavy, and I could not be bothered to get the parallelogram mount outside under these grey conditions, so I called it a day (or night).

So, a short session spent with old friends, but it does feel like you are keeping your hand in.

Thanks DKD. I have seen M51 through bins quite a few times, but not on such a grey night.Under good skies I can even pick it up with the 10x50. I have even picked up M101 with the 15x70s (with SN2011fe at its peak). Don't forget that Messier did much of his work with a 3.5" scope, so a 70mm can capture most Messiers

Thanks DKD. I have seen M51 through bins quite a few times, but not on such a grey night.Under good skies I can even pick it up with the 10x50. I have even picked up M101 with the 15x70s (with SN2011fe at its peak). Don't forget that Messier did much of his work with a 3.5" scope, so a 70mm can capture most Messiers

It's all about expectation management...but M101 with bins...wow!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

When I was out on Tuesday I was thinking that I must take the opportunity to get out with the bins when possible, especially if it's not good enough to warrant getting a scope out. Given the long intervals between decent viewing session we're having to put up with at the moment it takes me a short while just to "settle into the groove" with the scope and keeping my hand in with bins on a few of the "old favourites" would probably help a fair bit.

James

Archived