Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dob on wheels?

abberation

Hi I've been searching through the posts but haven't come across what I was hoping to find.

I have a reasonable oberving area in the middle of the lawn where I have set in a large paving stone and a loose stone standing area. This works fine for an eight inch dob and I dont have a problem taking it in and out. I also have a 12" dob that I struggle to negotiate around the garden and steps with.(it hasn't helped that I fell out of a tree that I was cutting back and have suffered ever since). At the far end of my garden I have a large shed and I was thinking of making a viewing area at the front and keeping the scope in the shed and making some kind of wheeled contraption to bring it out for observing. I have seen "lockable" wheels with solid tires and wondered about using these. So my question is (as a newcomer) has any body done this with success or is it a crazy idea. Any feedback appreciated.

Rich.

Steve - thanks for the reply. I did get a sack trolley and made up a dummy "bearing" box for the scope and made up some ramps to get up to a patio but the dwarf walls in the garden were a bit tight on width. However I will keep on the case.

The photo is interesting - I have never seen the semi circular vertical setting circles before - that certainly gives me ideas. Today in fact I have just made horizontal (or azimuth) circles - using Autocad (but it can be converted to pdf) I constructed protractors going anticlockwise the same diameter as the dob base - printed them of and covered both sides with sticky back plastic cut out the centres and placed on the stand. The reading device will be red leds operated by a footswitch.

Rich

Archived