Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 7261 - Open Cluster in Cepheus

DarkerSky

Took a chance on a clear sky last night and got lucky. Was out between midnight and 2am, in which time I sketched this little Mag 8.4 open cluster in Cepheus. Afterwards watched dawn break in the northeast :smiley:

NGC7261-OpenCluster.png

I don't know if this cluster has a common name. If it doesn't I'll call it the Seagull Cluster! Think it resembles a bird in flight. Some things I like about this cluster is the orange star I found at its left edge, and also the tight double quite near it. I also detected a slight haze around the cluster area on the right, which I'm taking as the glow of unresolved stars in the cluster.

I was looking at sketching this cluster last week but couldn't decide whether to do this one or NGC 7243 which is slightly WSW of NGC 7261 and a brighter cluster, I didn't do either in the end because the clouds rolled in.

Its a very tidy and accurate looking sketch though. Nice work.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived