Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First light for modded camera and new lens

gthomas

I recently had my Canon 450D filter removed but the weather hasn't allowed me to really test it so far. Also recently bought a second hand Canon EF 200mm lens for wide field work. Finally had a chance to test them both and I am really quite pleased with the results.

Started with IC1396, about 20 x 60 second subs with Astronomik CLS filter. The sky background caused a few colour balance problems but I eventually got something I thought wasn't too bad.

Then moved on to IC7000 which seems to be very popular around here at the moment ;)

My poor effort is only 20 x 3 minute subs again with CLS filter. However this time I was stunned by the result as I have literally only stacked the frames and done a simple histogram stretch with PixInsight. I decided to leave it alone as any more fiddling is only going to ruin what is my best DSO to date.

post-17974-0-91752900-1339842025_thumb.j

post-17974-0-58623800-1339842057_thumb.j

That NA image is excellent. Not only have you got the red element of the Nebula, you've got tons of dust running away to the right.

Just a thought.... Have you tried running wide open with the 200mm lens ? This lens has the quality to keep the edge stars under control. Also try a few frames without the filter and see what happens. I don't know how light polluted your site is.

As you have Pixinsight have a go at using DBE very carefully ( Not much background round here ) and that may balance the background and tweak the colour balance at the same time.

Very nice work. Just think what you'll do when it gets dark !

Dave.

That NA image is excellent. Not only have you got the red element of the Nebula, you've got tons of dust running away to the right.

Just a thought.... Have you tried running wide open with the 200mm lens ? This lens has the quality to keep the edge stars under control. Also try a few frames without the filter and see what happens. I don't know how light polluted your site is.

As you have Pixinsight have a go at using DBE very carefully ( Not much background round here ) and that may balance the background and tweak the colour balance at the same time.

Very nice work. Just think what you'll do when it gets dark !

Dave.

Thanks Dave,

The IC1396 shot is wide open while the NA is at F4. I found that the wide open shot had more background issues that DBE couldn't really resolve but which were helped by applying a lens correction using Canons Digital Photo Professional. The same correction made no difference to the NA image so I didn't bother. I think the colour balance problems were caused by me having the camera set with a custom white balance to compensate for the filter mod when I was testing it. I think I'm now getting on top of it :)

As you say when it gets dark the universe is my oyster. The NA was taken between 1am and 2am this morning when it was quite clear for a change but the sun is never that low is it?

Nice results... The 200/2.8L is real corker of a lens for astro and has a very handy fov...

I posted a focusing trick for using the 200/2.8L wide open a few weeks ago...

Peter..

Thanks Peter,

Have you got a link to that posting?

It's OK Peter, I found it.

I focus using live view through BackYard EOS and using it's FWHM function. To be honest I normally take whatever stars are in view rather than try to get them in a particular part of the frame. Maybe I should be more particular in future? :)

Cheers

Archived