Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Atik and Starlight Xpress

Avo

I have just aquired an Atik 314L+ and will initially be playing with a web cam as a guide cam.

When funds allow I am thinking of a lodestar guider with OAG.

Does the camera dictate the choice of filter wheel as I like the compact nature and the reviews of the Starlight wheel and its OAG, will filter wheel control via USB be an issue ?

I use an Atik 16HR with an SX filter wheel via USB Avo.

I suppose it depends on the software you intend to control things with.

The Artemis(Atik) software only controls Atik filter wheels. Something like Nebulosity or Maxim will allow a mixture of products.

Pretty much any camera can be used with the SX filter wheel and an OAG - things get more difficult when you start to introduce a coma corrector, field flattener or focal reducer as you try to get the spacing correct but this is not really a likely issue with the 314L+. USB control is pretty seamless in Windows 7 but I had unresolveable issues with Windows XP and the SX wheel although I am assured by Terry Platt of SX that my experience was not typical. You may find the following reviews on FLO's website of interest:-

Starlight Xpress Filter wheel and OAG.

ATIK Filter wheel and OAG.

Thanks for that, I've read those articles and that made me think more of the SX wheel and OAG.

I'm thinking to future proof any purchases as a larger camera may be a future upgrade.

I'm also pondering on a manual wheel with separate guide scope however, the OAG does appear to be a lighter, compact and more accurate solution.

I guess i'm just going to have to take the plunge and suck it and see.

USB control is pretty seamless in Windows 7 but I had unresolveable issues with Windows XP and the SX wheel although I am assured by Terry Platt of SX that my experience was not typical.

I'm happy to say it works absolutely fine on my XP netbook here.

Archived