Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron Sky scout

Not sure about Skyscout but i know the Meade version works (that's Meade's definition of working btw) in that way. ie you point at an object and Autostar goes there. Pretty sure Skyscout doesn't work in that way though. No link to the mount.

Russ

Celestron's SkyScout has no hookup for GOTO capabilities (huge failing IMHO). The Meade MySky does, but only for Meade mounts. I would imagine placing either on top of the scope would totally mess up the system with all the metal in the OTA of the tripod/wedge/GEM.

Thanks guys, I don't know why Celestron would NOT have a link to the scope , surely a design flaw?

anyway I see that Celestron UK are advising people not to buy the ebay skyscout as it's grey import but it is almost £100 cheaper,

and how come we pay almost the same..no exactly the same price in pounds as the US pay in dollars for the same piece of kit?

The Dollar is a lot weaker in the last six months but have we seen any price drop in the Celestron and Meades....NO.

Dave

Thanks guys, I don't know why Celestron would NOT have a link to the scope , surely a design flaw?

anyway I see that Celestron UK are advising people not to buy the ebay skyscout as it's grey import but it is almost £100 cheaper,

and how come we pay almost the same..no exactly the same price in pounds as the US pay in dollars for the same piece of kit?

The Dollar is a lot weaker in the last six months but have we seen any price drop in the Celestron and Meades....NO.

Dave

Dave, there was a thread about this a while back and essentially the UK£ to US$ 'rip off' is an urban myth in regard to astro equipment.

Tony..

I recently received my ADM kit direct from the USA, and despite having to add postage, VAT, import duty, and a handling charge, it was still a good 25-30% cheaper than if I had bought it at UK prices.

Archived