To start you need a bit of stacking software, I use DSS (Deep Sky Stacker) it is free, and works very well. Secondly you need to take as many subs (images) as possible.

Stacking an image will allow you to build up all of the detail from an object you are imaging. There will be some really faint data in all of the images you capture. and stacking all of these on top of each other will enable you to pull all of that data out. It will allow enhance all of the brighter detail you have.

It's a pretty straightforward process as well. Click on Open your picture files and select your image files (and your darks and flats :)), check all the files, and then click register checked pictures. By default, DSS will stack your registered subs automatically when registration has completed.

It's all about signal vs noise.

Noise will generally be the same in each image, but noise is random.

The stacking process effectively cancels out the noise - because it's not in every frame (in the same place) and enhances the signal because it is in every frame in the same place.

There is more to it than that, but it gives you an idea.

Ant

Noise is just a random discolouration or brightening of pixels. Happens most at high ISO settings and is more noticable in darker photos. Because the noise is random, by taking multiple shots you can get rid of the affected pixels.

Signal, I think, is the actual detail that you want in the image, E.G. the features you are trying to capture. A bit unsure on this though as I haven't heard it being called that before.

Sion

Archived