NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

So first PST Image - need help

johnb

Hi

So i have my Coronado PST with a DMK 41 mono and a short nose piece, and im using IC Capture.as.2.2

So I'm able to focus but it seems washed out gain is 0 as is brightness, exposure is around 1/70

Fiirst image is attached, pointers really appreciated.

Regards

John B

post-4419-0-89717300-1339247727_thumb.jp

First off, are you sure you have achieved focus? Most CCDs/webcams have a lot shorter focal length than the eyepiece that is used, I focus on the limb first, then move onto the sunspots that are my usual target.

Assuming the focus is accurate have you tried the software in full auto? This may help a bit initially, then you can fine tune. With white light and a solar filter I can use as low as 1/2000 with half gain and half brightness with a NexImage and a 4SE. Trial and error may be the key.

Thanks for the info. When I bought the kit I did get a short nose piece as advised so im sure I can achieve focus. I will try the exposure as suggested and see what happens.

Thanks

John B

im think its a focus issue, i have a short nose piece and even tried with out a nose piece but still nothing help ?, what would you imagine the exposure time should be ?

With the dmk41, gain @ 260 and gamma @ 100 i.e. defaults. From memory prominence exposure will be around 1/15-1/30 and surface detail 1/200-1/320. Get the focus sharp on the edge first then tune the etalon to bring up the detail

Thanks for this, it was focus, I have unscrewed the lens from a 2 x barlow and then dropped it in the eye piece then inserted the DKM with a short nose piece and now I can focus.

I do have another issue. when really out of focus there are strange dots see the picture,

regards

John B

Archived