Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Anyone used a Celestron Luminos eyepiece?

Does anyone have any experience of the Celestron Luminos eyepieces? I'm thinking about getting a 10mm.

Also, what would you say are the eyepieces of a comparable or better quality and price at this focal length from other manufacturers?

I have the Explore Scientifc 82 in an 11mm which I use a lot in the 6SE, it's a great priced wide EP (if you buy from the US where they're on sale for half the year).

Pentax XL and XW are both supposed the be excellent although narrower FOV, and if you really want to push the boat out there's the TeleVue fleet... Delos, Nagler, Ethos all available at or near 10mm.

I guess it depends what you want to see with it, and what your preference is for FOV.

Thanks for the advice guys. I guess I'm looking for something to improve as much as possible on the views of globular clusters I've had so far with my 24mm Hyperion eyepiece. I really like the wider FOV, but I think a bit more magnification wouldn't go amiss. I was thinking that a 13mm wouldn't be pushing things too high (about 150x in my 2000mm focal length scope) but would give a significant hike compared with the 24mm and would help in bringing out some more detail. I was hoping a 13mm might also prove good for some occasional planetary viewing. I'm keen to get a really good eyepiece and save up for it if needs be. What do you think? As well as Celestron was indeed thinking of 13mm Type 6 Nagler or a 14mm Pentax XW (FOV somewhat smaller than the TV at 70 deg compared with 82).

I've recently been viewing some clusters at 140x and some of the other guys go high still. As usual, it depends on conditions. You could go higher for planets too if the sky is playing nice. Both TeleVue and Pentax make nice EP, but your scope will tolerate some less expensive options too.

Archived