NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

advice please

richbyers

i suffer from back problems and long story short ive been having troubles with my heritage so ive decided upon keeping the heritage for my better days and getting a ST102 as a main use scope with a eq1

now my question is - i know that the 102 has less light gathering and a slightly shorter length, but ive heard nothing but praise for this scope- so i am correct in this? or will i recieve it, take it out and think 'argh what have i done'....and never use it again and just end up using the heritage?

i know some peopel mount their dobs, but id rather not go down this road

im going to be using it for moon, planets, dsos - no astrohphotgraphy though.....im on a tight budget and the 102 suits my needs perfectly- im an astrophysics student and live and breath astronomy, so i know what to expect from scopes and how to use them.....just need some particulars and want some secondary opinions :D

so long story short- is the 102 a close enough partner to the heritage to not be dissapointed?

rich

cool- i thought so......about CA- ive read about that but never experienced it (never having a refractor before).....i reckon i could live with it

my refractor was only a cheapish astromaster and i found hardly any ca . but i suppose a seasoned astronomer would frown upon it.

just wondering is there a reason why you havnt considered the 130 newt on an eq2?

not sure really....guess as i already have a 130 reflector scope it would feel as if i am buying the heritage all over again (which im intending to keep using) so i wanted to take a walk into refractor country :)

im still thinking on the CA issue though...pretty sure i want a refractor

Archived