Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Considering Butchering my new EP !!

Bart

Got an old ES 82degree 30mm in from the states for a great price, thanks Customs men! Its VERY big. Saw this thread in Cloudy Nights and looks straighforward enough to strip the bulky eyeguard off and stick on a more usual rubber eyecup on. Apparently removes 14 oz, yowsa! Have a look at the pictures attached just over half way down page contributed by Jack Day. Interesting....

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3748325/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/all/vc/1

Holy Cow!!, that beast is twice the weight of my 26 Nagler!! That mod would definitely help with the weight issue Barry and leave it easier to look through but it will destroy the resale value if you ever decide to move it on. Tough call bud, although I have to say it does look kinda slick in its naked guise

You can't do that with Naglers - the 31mm has a couple of lenses in it that are 80mm in diameter and the light path through the eyepiece uses their full width - they need that fat old barrel !

Makes you wonder why ES dressed them up like that if the glass inside doesn't need the housing :icon_scratch:

I believe Meade UWA's can be "dieted" in the same way though.

Archived