Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Change Of Mount

I have a Tal 2 which has been stored for 10 or more years. I have found that as a relative novice I need to gain some confidence in moving around the sky but the Tal mount doesn't have easy to use manual controls. I'm thinking of putting the telescope on an alt/az mount with manual contols and then reverting to the Tal mount when I have more time and experience. Does anyone know if this is feasible and can they recommend a resonably priced mount. Thanks

David

Hi David, I can recommend the SkyTee2 as a very good option; very easy to use and good capacity but not sure if the cost is prohibitive especially if you have to replace the saddles. (if you do a search on skytee saddles you will find a thread by Johninderby. Not sure if this issue is fixed now but there was some debate as to whether the originals were up to the claimed 15kg.

There are obviously other alt-az mounts available, but I have not used them. Perhaps someone else will comment.

Hi David.

The 2M's optical tube is about 8kg and roughly 4ft long.

So it's not going to work happily on many of the available alt/az mounts out there, at least in the lower end of the price range. :embarassed: .....edit: or at least I don't think so?

I can think of another few, to go along with the one mentioned by ampleamp, above.

The Giro 2 or 3 - http://www.tele-opti....de/giro-3.html - Haven't used one, but have heard only good things. Downside? Cost and you have to perhaps add a saddle for a dovetail(unless you drill a dovetail and fit directly to the mount). Might also need a counterweight and bar. Whilst you could perhaps use the 2M's weight, it's bar has (I think) got a different thread. I've seen these mounts available from quite a few different dealers.

The AOK-Swiss AYO mark II - http://www.aokswiss....ex_mont.html��- I have used the Mark I version. Truly superb and easy to use. It has an inbuilt saddle and you may get away without needing a counterweight and bar. The Mark I could take waay more than the stated limits. Downside? Cost :embarassed: This version II is much more expensive than the original. Haven't seen these available from any where but from the source. Perhaps I haven't searched hard enough ;)

You might get away with a Tele-Optic Giro mini(check it out in the above link), but, it will be right at it's stated weight limit(most sites seem to state around 8kg) and without doubt, you'll need a counterweight and bar. I'd like to hear from users of this mount before splashing the cash !

A mount is only as good as the tripod or pedestal on which it sits. If it were me, I'd use the 2M's pedestal. Get an adapter plate to let you attach the mount head. Relatively easy to do. Someone who works with metals will be able to knock you up one easily. A piece of tube to fit the inside diameter of the pedestal, welded to a flat top piece with a suitable thread screwed on(weld to be on the inside of the adapter tube). Will be as solid as a rock and the correct height to use the Tal newt.

Cheers,

Andy.

Archived