Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Moon Using Celestron Nexstar 102 Slt & Neximage Ccd

majestic0110

Hi all,

I hope you are well. I took my new Neximage CCD out last night for the first time and, using my netbook, took some captures of the moon. This was my first attempt so bear that in mind! Next time I need to increase the resolution and capture more frames ( and keep ths telescope still). It was also pretty cloudy last night! I did try to increase the resolution (to 640 X 480) within AmCap itself but the application didn't seem to save this setting, repeatedly - is there something I am doing wrong? I used the free software RegiStax to stack the frames. I am really looking to improve the quality of images I take and I appreciate all advice ! I only stacked approx 10-20 frames for each image, what is a good number of frames to stack might you suggest? I also had not used the RegiStax software before and while it seems like a great program there's certainly more I need to learn about it, specifically the Wavelet processing tab and layers. So I am really looking for some constructive criticism really, and don't worry about being harsh I have a thick hide!

thanks

Phil.

post-22920-0-02427900-1338832895.jpg

post-22920-0-76359100-1338832903_thumb.j

post-22920-0-94888500-1338832914_thumb.j

post-22920-0-79325800-1338832924_thumb.j

I've moved the thread into the lunar imaging section for you..

Frames - you need a lot more than 20 to improve the signal to noise ratio significamtly. I usually take about 1000 - 2000, which is easy with a DMK21 but not so with a Neximage. Try for a few hundred at least, throw away Amcap and try Sharpcap for capturing. It can save your capture settings for you and probably gives you more exposure options.

Peter

• 1 month later...

Focus seems to be a bit out. i used a Phillips webcam with my meade 90mm frac to capture moon images so I would think you'd be able to get similar results.

Here's some some of my images:

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=52172

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=51586

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=51587

I found it easiest to focus by getting the limb in view and ensuring a nice sharp line between the moon and space. I took avis that lasted around 200 seconds and stacked these in registax.

Hope this helps.

Rob

wow yours are great Rob :-)

Thanks very much for the feedback, I will take longer exposures in future. I had about 30 seconds on each photo, so obviously I need more. How do you stabilise your mount? I am using an Alt-Az tripod and it can get quite windy over here in Ireland, which is problematic of course. With regards to focusing, I find it very difficult to focus actually, it' an extremely sensitive procedure!

Great pics though!

Focusing was a real issue. It took a lot of test runs where I'd playback the avi to check and then adjust focus and try again.

The scope and mount that I used are this one http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/info_20099.html. It's not the most stable and any sort of wind is an issue. If I remember rightly some of the moon ones were shot with the scope in the conservatory with the door open. This sorted the wind but is not good for seeing as there can be turbulent air comming from inside to out.

I've not done any imaging like this for a while and sold the frac and the web cam to fund the dob. But I have recent aquired the scope I linked to above and I have an asda webcam that I'm looking to use for some imaging when Jupiter comes round again.

Good luck with the pictures, the fact mine look like they do is simply luck!

Rob

Yeah focusing it is very difficult, it's so sensitive I find. Thanks for the advice there Rob. I am going to mess around a bit later today with Registax 6, as previously I was using version 4 (I believe). Perhaps I might get some more better stacking results with that version anyway. Thanks again :-D

wow yours are great Rob :-)

Thanks very much for the feedback, I will take longer exposures in future. I had about 30 seconds on each photo, so obviously I need more. How do you stabilise your mount? I am using an Alt-Az tripod and it can get quite windy over here in Ireland, which is problematic of course. With regards to focusing, I find it very difficult to focus actually, it' an extremely sensitive procedure!

Great pics though!

Nice Images.

Like the last one. It´s "cosey".

Nice to see another 102 user, hehe. .D

To get it abit more stable I just dont extend the legs and put my powertank or something heavy on the little "shelf" or what to call it under the scopearm. :)

Helps abit atleast.

Nice Images.

Like the last one. It´s "cosey".

Nice to see another 102 user, hehe. .D

To get it abit more stable I just dont extend the legs and put my powertank or something heavy on the little "shelf" or what to call it under the scopearm. :)

Helps abit atleast.

Thanks Advertise, great idea re the tripod legs. I find the mount to be less than sturdy to be honest! Thinking of upgrading to an 8 inch telescope soon anyway, any recommendations?

Yeah it´s not the most sturdy one but 30sec exposures are possible (my max is 45sec single exposure).

I myself am thinking about upgrading actually. Only have the 102 sofar.

I am going for a Skywatcher HEQ5 mount with a ED80. From with I have heard it is a great combo.

Yeah it´s not the most sturdy one but 30sec exposures are possible (my max is 45sec single exposure).

I myself am thinking about upgrading actually. Only have the 102 sofar.

I am going for a Skywatcher HEQ5 mount with a ED80. From with I have heard it is a great combo.

NICE!

I'd really like a Celestron Nexstar 8 SE personally!

Archived