NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

polor alignment Help

Hi I have just bought my first telescope Celestron C6-SGT its on a Advanced GT Series computerized mount, thanks Steve from First Light Optics

for sorted me a good deal. I Took my first pictures last night with a canon d400, but only could get 25/30 sec exposures. anything above that time i got streaking stars.

To polar align i used Polaris i centred it in my main scope eyepiece. Can someone please tell me whats the right way to polar align so i can take

5Min's or above exposures. Please keep in mind that i started this hobby only a few weeks ago so nothing too complicated thanks...

I think you're confusing the idea that the mount has to be polar aligned, not the scope. What you are going to need is a polarscope to make your alignment more accurate. CG5 mounts don't come with them (even though the hole is there waiting for one) for some inexplicable reason.

Quick tip: You can buy the Skywatcher polarscope for the EQ3/5 (one here: http://tinyurl.com/2jmvjp), it's the same one as Celestron's but cheaper :D. Get one of those, stick it in, align it and off you go, you should be able to do drift alignment and happy days ahead.

Tony..

• 2 weeks later...

Is an illuminated reticle eyepiece recommended for all this then? They seem quite expensive!

I've taken the cross hair from the front of my star finder which fits in the scope drawtube, and locked using the clamps.

It's not illuminated, but is costless rather than buying one.

Archived