Another one going up (or down!)

ollypenrice

Hillside's dug out, base is laid, and so now the frame is going up, but rain has stopped play. When I started the frame on Friday it was so hot it nearly brought me to a standstill, well into the thirties C. I missed yesterday with a trip to Aix but there's no rush to finish this.

As you can see, the roof will roll off onto the high ground. Well, 'roof and upper sides' as on the block-built obsy that houses Yves' 14 inch. I'll make that from welded steel square section as usual.

Polaris is above the large lime blossom tree so the lower walls are on the east and south, where you need them to be low. Entry will involve ducking but there is 1.2 metres of headroom so not too bad. If it's a pest I'll make a section of rail hinge out of the way to allow for upright access. Floor size is 4 square metres. Final cladding will probably be ply unless I can find something cheaper, but they don't really do 'shed' type cladding here.

I may add a little computer control room, (seated height only) on the outside at some point. For the moment the laptop will go in a little fitted cupboard to keep the light in and allow it to live there without being disturbed. This makes a difference to setup time when you are running two or three rigs.

The dark shed in the background is the full roll-off which houses Sir Isaac, the 20 inch Dob, in a recumbent position. It rolls off to the left as seen in the picture.

I may move the Tak mount into this new shed or just put one of the present 'occasional use' mounts there.

NEW-ROLLOF-1-L.jpg

NEW-ROLLOF-2-L.jpg

I haven't forgotten my promise to measure the heat storing effects, if any, of concrete. The experiment is in hand but the mid thirties temperatures need to come back first!

Olly

I don´t think much of the rain protection...and the wind will blow through those gaps :laugh:

Nice new roll off Olly, I liked the pics of your others on PAIG as well....anyone would think you do

it for a living or something (or is it just for beer money?)

Gina, I'll probably make a pier for whatever mount I finally put in there. For short tube refractors there is little to choose between pier and tripod in terms of avoiding the flip but the TEC140 goes much longer past the meridian on a pier. I have never found any need to make huge piers. Yves' 14 inch is on a free standing Mesu pier and has no issues that either of us can see.

Neil, The observatories are at once for my own fun and for that of our guests. Until August 1st the astro B and B/gite provides my only income but on that historic date I become a pensioner. Oh dear oh dear. Yes, you have it to come. Rites of passage!

Olly

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good Olly and well worth the time invested for where you are (I am so jealous)

Still need to book some time at Les Granges (need to convince the accountant ((wife)) that it's a god investment)

Good luck with the rest of the build

Mark

Hillside's dug out, base is laid, and so now the frame is going up, but rain has stopped play. When I started the frame on Friday it was so hot it nearly brought me to a standstill, well into the thirties C. I missed yesterday with a trip to Aix but there's no rush to finish this.

Olly

Re Aix, has Browning's good news from Ghent arrived yet?

The energy you expend makes me feel lazy; mind you I enjoy it.

Looks a good, well planned project, it has to be successful.

Just remind me please, if the 'SGL' reduction is offered on top of the 'OAP' and 'Cannot mention what I did' discounts, it seems you are willing to pay me to take a week at your establishment and you pay the fares as well? :grin:

Wish you total success.

Archived