Telescope Advice

So, I've had my mind set on the Celestron NexStar 130SLT for sometime now and am planning on buying one within the next month. However, after gleaning over some posts here at SGL and checking out some videos and reviews, I'm starting to lean towards the Celestron Sky-Watcher 8in. Dobsonian.

Both are within my dollar range so money isn't an issue. Just wondering if anyone can give some advice or personal stories they've experienced with either one or both. I know I really like the computerized aspect of the NexStar, is the Sky-Watcher much harder to find or track things with being manual? Thanks for any help!

Hi and welcome to SGL

I have owned / own both scopes in your thread starter and I would like to offer my opinion.

I started out with the 130SLT as my first scope approx 5-6 years ago as the logic was simple - it was a Goto scope so learning the sky would be easier. In my experience this wasn't the case as I was a total newbie to astronomy even though its a lifelong interest. In reality I was too busy learning how to use the Goto setup to actually use the scope and do any real astronomy. Also, I used AA-cell batteries rather than a powerpack so the scope kept using up the power in no time at all and kept losing alignment. The tripod was lightweight and was easily knocked against when in use so I lost alignment this way as well. I finally abandoned using the scope and eventually sold it to a member of my astro club. I used basic non Goto scopes in the interim.

Last year I bought the Skywatcher Skyliner 200P. I've only used it a few times since buying it because of cloud pollution but the difference is staggering. The 8-inch aperture allows enough light grasp to actually see objects I could only dream of in the 130. The Dob is a great all-round performer and gives great planet including the GRS and moon shadow on Jupiter, ring detail on Saturn and surface detail on Mars. Viewing the Moon is like watching NASA footage of the Apollo space craft flying above the lunar surface. DSOs are a breeze even in moderately light polluted sites here in Herts. I am classing the Skyliner 200P as my first 'real' scope and am looking forward to using it at various sky camps around the UK from the autumn. The AltAz mount is very easy to use and set up / take down time is 5 minutes. The scope breaks down into mount and OTA for ease of transport (I own a compact car) and storage isn't a problem as the scope stands upright on the mount in the corner of the hallway when not in use.

I have crossed over to the dark side and am using a Goto scope as my grab and go setup but this is a temporary thing as I will be upgrading to the Vixen Porta-II / 130rf combo in the near future.

HTH!

The skywatcher will give the better views by a long way. yes there is a learning curve in that you will need to find your way by yourself but there are plenty of aids to help. I can promise though even if you don't know a single star as long as you have your finder lined up you will find something to astound you.

I would agree that goto is a tool that needs some understanding of astronomy, mounts, and telescopes before it can be used effectively, not necessarily something for a novice.

The Celestron SkyProdigy series is touted to be a proper fully automatic goto system, and is probably going to be the future of goto in my opinion (for Celestron anyway); if it works, it should be an excellent beginner / lazy man's scope, but the aperture of the scopes so far is relatively small so you may soon wish you'd spent that £500 on a much larger manual scope instead of the fancy electronics.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-skyprodigy/celestron-skyprodigy-130.html

Having gone from Skyhawk 114 on a eq mount to a Dob I agree with all above & what I read on GOTO made the set up sound more complex than finding things manually + like the sense of achievement in finding manually.

I'd say start by looking at easy to find things moon, planets, obvious doubles & Orion Nebula (come winter) then get a Telrad to help find the things you cannot see with your naked eye.

Alright, think I'm gonna go with the Dobsonian. After reading some more posts and checking around on the internet, I'm really getting excited. I'll miss the computer tracking but, like a few of you have said, sometimes it's not all it's cracked up to be. Looks like manual tracking won't be too bad anyways.

New question. After looking around last night I noticed for just a bit more I could get the Zhumell Z10 Dobsonian. I know 10" is better than 8" but I'm not too familiar with Zhumell. Would it be worth it to spend just a lil' more and get their 10" or stick with Sky-Watcher's 8"? Thanks!

Alright, think I'm gonna go with the Dobsonian. After reading some more posts and checking around on the internet, I'm really getting excited. I'll miss the computer tracking but, like a few of you have said, sometimes it's not all it's cracked up to be. Looks like manual tracking won't be too bad anyways.

New question. After looking around last night I noticed for just a bit more I could get the Zhumell Z10 Dobsonian. I know 10" is better than 8" but I'm not too familiar with Zhumell. Would it be worth it to spend just a lil' more and get their 10" or stick with Sky-Watcher's 8"? Thanks!

I'm not familiar with Zhumell either, could you not get a Sky-Watcher 10"?

Hi

The Skyliner 8" Dob hits the sweet spot between portability and usability. Moving up to 10" will give you more light grasp at the expense of portability (but not by much). Will you be keeping the Dob set up and ready or will you be taking it to site as the extra weight might be enough to put you off using it. Can you find an astro club near you and attend a public astronomy session first just to give yourself an idea of the scopes on offer? Click on the link to find clubs in MI:

http://www.go-astronomy.com/astro-clubs-state.php?State=MI

I've heard of Zhumell but haven't used them so couldn't advise on this purchase either way.

HTH!

I'm not familiar with Zhumell either, could you not get a Sky-Watcher 10"?

I could probably swing the money to get the 10" Sky-Watcher, it's right on the edge of what I could spend right now. Just noticed Zhumell's was cheaper but I had never heard of them before.

Hi

The Skyliner 8" Dob hits the sweet spot between portability and usability. Moving up to 10" will give you more light grasp at the expense of portability (but not by much). Will you be keeping the Dob set up and ready or will you be taking it to site as the extra weight might be enough to put you off using it. Can you find an astro club near you and attend a public astronomy session first just to give yourself an idea of the scopes on offer? Click on the link to find clubs in MI:

http://www.go-astronomy.com/astro-clubs-state.php?State=MI

I've heard of Zhumell but haven't used them so couldn't advise on this purchase either way.

HTH!

I will definitely be moving it, not too far but far enough. Too many trees in the backyard here but next door is a pretty wide open field. Thanks for the link on the clubs. All the ones in Michigan were a distance but I found one right across the border in Indiana that's perfect. I'll have to check them out!

Archived