Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telescope Closures

George Jones

Sad indeed, but maybe the telscope is coming to the end of it's useful research life? First light for UKIRT was in 1979. Maybe the money spent on upkeep is destined for other projects with greater new science potential?

Absolute disgrace!! Not wishing to bring politics to the forum as all parties seem as ignorant as each other when it come to matters scientific, but this decision is crass and, dare I say it, stupidly short sighted. It would appear pathetic that they cannot even afford to continue with scopes that are already built - what is to become of them, sold off to another country like most of out Navy?

I come from an NHS background and have seen the Health Service decimated and now it appears that science it to go the same way - when will this foolishness stop. :hello2::icon_scratch:

I have a feeling the Mods will pull this post, but I feel better for having written it. :):)

I think you have hit the nail on the head Richard. When the RAS was at the Keele Uni to celebrate its 50 years of Astronomy at it Observatory there was no mention of any closures in fact there was talk of expansion

Real shame. The pursuit of science just for the sake of it, without practical applications in mind, is the highest form of human civilization to my mind. Bet there would be outrage if they closed the National Theatre or something else arty....

Archived