Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

R.A. motor for EQ2

Hello all.

Im about to buy a RA motor. I have a sky-watcher 130mm f:900mm and an EQ2. I've come to know the EQ2 is not so stable for astrophotography, but its the one they gave me as a gift, so i'll give it a try for now with this set-up.

My question now is what RA motor to buy. I've seen 2 types, one with a single speed and a battery, very simple and straight forward (http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/astro..._drive_for_eq2) and another one with more speeds and seemingly more robust (http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/astro..._drive_for_eq2).

Bearing in mind that i have this set-up and maybe in one or 2 years i'll upgrade my mount (most likely) do you think i could do some astrophotography of DSO with the simple R.A. motor? Will the more complex motor offer me something more that is worth while within this set-up? I guess the multi-speed one is made of quartz, and the other is not.. I guess it makes a big difference...

Well, thank you in advance, :hello2:

Rui

go for the one with more speeds and is robust

I have the same mount and it's the one I will get when I do get on.

Why? Because as you say it's more robust, offers more control, better timing and I've seen other people saying that the motors have more torque.

Anthrer point is I think that the cheaper one actually replaces your RA adjustment knob whereas the more expensive one allows you to keep it and you can disengage the motor with the clutch so you don't damage it.

I think you'll be happier with the more expensive one

edit: I just saw what you wrote about photography, well as I'm sure you already know it's an uphill battle with the eq2 but I've seen a user on this forum called themos who has upgraded the similar eq1 motor handset (the more expensive motor) to be able to be auto-guided in the RA axis. I think they have only mounted a camera with a lense rather than a telescope to take pictures though. I'll try and find the thread...

here it is.....

http://stargazerslounge.com/showthread.php?t=176637

It was a joint project between themos and gonzo, I was impressed!

Although if you have a dslr you can mount it on the eq2 with an un-modded motor and take photos, just shorter ones

Multi speed or single speed ?. I would probably go for the multi speed version. I think this one also has the advantage that the drive can be disengaged from the RA axis (could be wrong), this single speed versio for the EQ1 drives the ERA axis direct meaning that the slo-mo cable cannot be used, might be the same for the EQ2.

Peter

Archived