Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best way of cleaning filters

Black Knight

I use the Baader stuff on Astronomik and Baader filters, works great.

Though those particular makes of filters do have stronger / tougher coatings. Hopefully someone else can verify it's OK on cheaper filters?

Cheaper filter..... don't bother. I tried cleaning my £60 SW UHC filter and put some very fine swirls in it despite being very gentle and using baader fluid. The filter still works fine but there is always the thought that the swirls are now effecting the image be this the case or not.

Cheaper filter..... don't bother. I tried cleaning my £60 SW UHC filter and put some very fine swirls in it despite being very gentle and using baader fluid. The filter still works fine but there is always the thought that the swirls are now effecting the image be this the case or not.

Yes, I too found that the coatings on a SW UHC filter were softer than other makes, even with VERY careful cleaning.

So please be cautious. I use isopropyl alcohol and a micro fibre cloth, and have never had a problem with Lumicon or Astronomic filters.

Regards, Ed.

Archived