Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newbs - whats your thoughts on your new hobby at the end of your first season?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive always had an interest in stars and planets, and always wanted to see them through a telescope.

i always thought that once I'd seen them that would be it and I'd lose interest.

I finally bought a skywatcher explorer-130p after watching the last stargazing live on the bbc and haven't looked back.

I saw Jupiter, Saturn, the moon and was pretty gobsmacked with the detail for a cheap scope.

I then purchased a camera mount and took some pictures with my compact camera.

Im happy with the telescope for now, obviously you always want to see more, but I think I will upgrade my camera first.

So it looks like this hobby is here to stay, and I love it.

Great forum aswell guys, cheers.

Welcome to SGL, Neil1978 - good first post :). I always struggle to get an image with my compact, but my wife does way better and is a whizz even with her phone camera at lining up with the ep for some moon pics (she only really likes the moon and Saturn). Got some t rings and a pentax dlsr so I really shoudl try to link all those up at some point! Good luck with your contiuing astro adventure!

Actually, that is something I have learnt over the months sicne I got my first scope...I really admire the photos that we see posted in the forum or in the magazines and I;m really amazed at the skill and dedication behind them, But, its clear I have neither the patience or skill and in the end I must admit, I just love looking at stuff with my scope!

Archived