Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ok I might be have a 'Duh ' moment....

But could some one tell if its ok to use planetary filters (mainly orange and blue) or an IR/UV filter with a Baader solar film full aperture solar filter please?

I'm using a SW Explorer 130P startrak as my scope but when looking at the sun through the filter the other day, the was still a lot of glare (I know who'd have thought the Sun was so bright :( ) and wondered if this might help in anyway. I didn't try them because I was scared they may heat up and explode and destroy my scope. So any advice on this would be helpful, would it be worth looking at the Baader continuum filter?

Hope this in the right place and thank you in advance.

sent from Gherkin Muncher mk .III (commonly known as a Galaxy S2)

The coloured planetary filters will just colour up the 'white-light' view that you have with the Baader solar film, no danger in that as the solar filter blocks out any harmful stuff from the sun. On the Baader Solar Continuum filter, I have read hereabouts and elsewhere that they don't enhance the detail of the sun, only more magnification will help in my view. The same threads said the #56 Green planetary filter will do a much better job, I have the Lumicon one which I shall be trialling next week.

Archived