NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Collimation and Lasers!

Damo636

I find the easiest and most accurate way to collimate the primary on my 12" scope is to use the laser inserted into the barlow and reflecting the doughnut back onto the target face. With the Cheshire , what looks perfect to my eyes always needs a slight tweak when double checked using the barlowed laser technique. Its only a very minor adjustment but none the less star tests have shown the alignment to be pretty much spot on. So, my question is this...

Why have none of the big manufacturers designed a laser collimator with a built in barlow element :(

Darn it, I was just about to give the patent office a ring:(

I guess I won't be making my first million off the back of this idea either :(

Barlowed laser technique is well-known within the reflectors communities around the world. It was invented by Nils Olof Carlin long time ago. Nils is a well-known and respected expert on reflector collimation.

Several manufacturers sell such devices. Interestingly, Nils never considered the idea of patenting his invention and never made a single penny off it.

Jason

Archived