Extending the power lead for Celestron SCT

iv been wanting to extend my 5m car power cable so i can move it further away from the car..... prob wants to be upto 20m.... Is it possible to do this because it seems so hard to find anything above 5m... i can barely extend to the end of my car with that, but dont want to fork out for a chargeable power box when i only want to be near my car most the time anyway, its just where i go stargazing, there is a dip down to the reservoir i could park the car at the top and walk the lead down to the water but its VERY steep so no way i could get my car down there and back up... where as a lead i could throw it out the side of the car over the edge down to the waterside.... perfect... 5 metres wont work for this though... need at least 10m maybe even 20 to make it realistically safe and plentifull...

Any advice of products, or maybe the power doesnt work if the lead is too long??

If you are handy with a soldering iron, you can buy from most garage spares outlet shops or direct from Maplins the cigarette lighter plug and socket, all you will need then is your required length in flexible mains cable, something like the replacement Orange power cables for hedge trimmers/lawn mowers which used to sold by such as B&Q, which if I remember were about 50 feet long, and will take up to 5Amps current, you should experience very little voltage drop over this distance using 12V DC. some of these devices don`t even need soldering as they have screw terminals. HTH :(

John.

I extended the output lead on a Netgear PSU with cable not much thicker than speaker lead, the plug i had in a spares box, but think they came from Maplin or RS Components many years back, the connection was soldered at odd lengths (2") and then taped up with self amalgamating tape made the output lead about 12' but 20' wouldn't do any harm, 2 Core table lamp lead would suit you for the 12volts with no earth..

Archived