NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar filter and imaging...what else?

sanmatt

HI all, just got into solar stuff and we have a cracking home made Baader filter. (on a 150pl) So far all I have done is plonk it on and take some piccys.

I've used ISO200 and very short exposures. And as fun as it is looking at the sun, I don't know what else to do. Should I use a range of ISO and shutter speeds - would that capture other detail or dare I say it...any flares??

I don't know what else to, and I don't want it to suddenly get boring.

Any ideas folks please? Thanks

The trouble with the Sun is that it is so bright! Maybe try the lowest ISO setting you can (100?) and shutter speeds around 1/2000-1/4000sec if your camera can cope.

You certainly won't see anything other than the surface granulation and spots - for anything more you will need a dedicated Ha scope (like a PST or similar).

I'm not so sure that the Sun is boring! It is one of the very few Astro objects that is constantly changing on a day to day basis.

With the baader film, no - I don't think so.

I was thinking of getting the Baader Solar Continum filter. Obviously you use with the solar paper, but I think that should show some more detail.

Bizibuilder may be able to tell more, he does some images with solar paper.

Also there's the web cam route, to get some closer images of the spots.

The trouble with the Sun is that it is so bright! Maybe try the lowest ISO setting you can (100?) and shutter speeds around 1/2000-1/4000sec if your camera can cope.

You certainly won't see anything other than the surface granulation and spots - for anything more you will need a dedicated Ha scope (like a PST or similar).

I'm not so sure that the Sun is boring! It is one of the very few Astro objects that is constantly changing on a day to day basis.

Thanks Roger,

Sorry I didnt mean the sun is boring I meant I'd get bored doing the same thing over and over.

I think the lowest ISO setting on ours is 'Lo1' (as well as Lo 0.7, Lo 0.3, 200 etc), and I think it goes to 1/4000th too. Granulation would be exciting!

I shall have a dabble, thanks

With the baader film, no - I don't think so.

I was thinking of getting the Baader Solar Continum filter. Obviously you use with the solar paper, but I think that should show some more detail.

Bizibuilder may be able to tell more, he does some images with solar paper.

Also there's the web cam route, to get some closer images of the spots.

Ah so there's a different sort of filter? And we'd use that in place of ours? That would a punt I think. Thanks Viv

edit - just had a google, that would be used as well as a solar filter.

Solar paper???? I assume you mean Baader Solar film - the stuff you make full aparture filters from. I think the jury is still out on the effectivness of the Baader Solar Continuum filter - which is used with the Solar film filter in place. Have a look here: http://www.schursastrophotography.com/solar/Articles/solararticle3.html for an in depth review of various kinds of Solar filters.

With my DSLR, ive got the shutter speeds around 1/600 i think, get a nice clear image, but maybe a quicker shutter would be worth a try. For some close up pictures i just Barlowed my DSLR. Probably not the best quality, but having never done it before im fairly happy, and should be ok for the transit. Hoping the weather is clear.

Have attached the kind of image i got with the barlow.

post-34370-133877781604_thumb.jpg

I made my first solar filter last night and once the clouds cleared today had my first view of the sun through my own scope, other than a few sunspots I couldn't see much although it was o ly a 5 minute session. I was going to ask about the continuum filter but it seems the jury is still out.

A pst or other dedicated solar scope is def on my 'to buy' list but for now the baader film will do, what can I do to bring out more detail on the surface?

Archived