Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

dob mount movement ..

ive used the skywatcher 200 skyliner for about three sessions now. very happy with the views and the scope in general. the mount is although perfectly workable , noticably slightly stiffin both directions. as its second hand i noticed two lead weights attached to the bottom of the primary,i assume to balance.question is is there a proper way to set balance ?

would i loosen the handles and it should balance like a set of scales ?

tips welcome please. turning the mount also a little stiff, only a little, you know when you push and one second it doesnt move then very slightly applying a little more force it goes a tad to far and have to bring her back. some of this is probably because im new to the " nudge system" :(

quickest, easiest, cheapest thing to do is to, undo the centre bolt, split the base, clean the bottom, wipe the 3 teflon slides clean, use pledge / turtle wax on the underside of the top part that runs on the slides ... have a breather ! cut some plastic milk bottles to make a few washers to go over the center bolt to lift the weight very slightly off the teflon slides (experiment 3 to 4 seems about right)

Put it back together .

You are now hooked on dob modding !

Check this http://stargazerslounge.com/showthread.php?p=2262594 thread if you crave for more

And good luck :(

quickest, easiest, cheapest thing to do is to, undo the centre bolt, split the base, clean the bottom, wipe the 3 teflon slides clean, use pledge / turtle wax on the underside of the top part that runs on the slides ... have a breather ! cut some plastic milk bottles to make a few washers to go over the center bolt to lift the weight very slightly off the teflon slides (experiment 3 to 4 seems about right)

Put it back together .

You are now hooked on dob modding !

Check this http://stargazerslounge.com/showthread.php?p=2262594 thread if you crave for more

And good luck :(

Now I don't own a dob so I can't help, I just wanted to say this answer is why Stargazers Lounge is such a great place to visit...oh and good luck. I'm very fussy about my gear so I feel your pain!

I hope you will take the time to listen to test match special, possiably the most relaxing radio program in the world.

Second that !

always reminds me of the boiling hot summer when i was a kid, listening to Bob Willis thundering in at a pace of knots :(

okay all i did was cut up a milk carton and made two washers,although one was enough in the end. i placed it on along with the original washer and hey presto,its done. i found by just adjusting the tightness of the centre bolt i could get the stiction just as required. who'd have thought a piece of plastic milk carton could solve such an issue. cheers for the tip .

Archived