Advise pls :o)

Good afternoon Guys and Girls :(

I have asked a similar question before but I have some more to add...

I am in the market for my first scope (well one that I will actually own as I am currently using my mates 6'' DOB)

I am thinking of maybe getting a goto scope...? I enjoy the DOB allot but stuggle with trying to track things for imaging :evil6:

So my question is which scope would you recomend, which eye peices and any other accessories you think would be good for me starting out with the veiw to do some imaging at some stage.

I dont think I will have the doa for the whole imaging set up as yet though....

If you have any links and such leading me to sites where I can purchase the bits you suggest that would be GREAT! :)

I have a rather small budget of around £250 to £300 I know its not allot but I guess we all have to start somewhere hey :evil6:

Thanks in advance :)

Steve

If you are intending to image solar system objects (moon and planets) which are bright objects, you can use a webcam on virtually any scope. Being bright objects, they do not require long accurate tracking and therefore using a webcam will allow you to capture enough 'frames' in a very short space of time to help you construct a final composite image. It is when you want to image deep sky objects (DSO's) such as galaxies and nebulae which are very faint, that longer exposures (tracking) are necessary to capture sufficient data to construct an image. To facilitate longer exposures you will need a very accurate mount which will be expensive. On the budget that is available to you, webcam imaging will be the only option open to you, apart from widefield imaging (camera on a tripod).

Imaging doesn't have to be really expensive but you certainly cannot image DSO's on the cheap because it starts with the mount (HEQ5 minimum). If imaging is your long term aim, then I would suggest getting hold of Steve Richards' "Making Every Photon Count"(FLO £19.95) which is a very comprehensive guide on what kit to get and why you need it to produce good consistent images. Having this overview at the beginning is essential in deciding how deep you want to go with imaging and what a realistic budget would then be required.

James

as has been said it depends on what you mean by imaging, the moon can be done with any scope and any camera. Planets need a webcam and any scope and dso's need a good gem mount, motorised tracking and a camera capable of long exposures. I would recommend the book it's a relatively easy way of getting to understand deep space photography and will tell you what sort of equipment you need and why it works best. I have tried imaging with sub optimal equipment and it really is a lesson in frustration some people manage it but good skies are so precious I don't like to waste them on duff photo's. deep space photography isn't really in your budget at the moment but planetary photography may be.

I cannot praise the Skywatcher Skymax 127 mak enough , i started with the goto version and it sure is a fine piece of kit which gives very plesent views and also makes some great images i picked mine up used for £250 .

I would say if you want to save a few pennies on the mount then don't go for a goto, it adds cost that you don't necessarily need for imaging. If you are willing to put in the time to learn how to do it, a properly aligned motorised EQ mount should give you the tracking you need for some good planetary and wide-field night sky photography.

I'm more of an SCT / refractor man myself, but I hear that reflectors are a good 'more bang for your buck' starter scope and perhaps better than SCTs for imaging. Here's a set up you might consider to get you started:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-eq3-2.html

Then add motor drive for both axis (it is only £11 more than for a single axis RA drive).

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/dual-axis-dc-motor-drive-for-eq3-2.html

I know it's above your budget but I really think you should more than get your extra money's worth out of this scope (or something similar).

For a reflector you will need a collimating tool / eyepiece. I believe some make their own, but here's one you could buy:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/collimation/cheshire-collimating-eyepiece.html

When it comes to imaging, the price goes up much faster than for visual!

Here is the Skymax 127 that bigal1 mentioned:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/maksutov/skywatcher-skymax-127-synscan-az-goto.html

Imaging and visual setups are mostly different to each other with different requirements, but you could spend about 1500 quid and get something that was reasonable at both.

As you don't want to spend that much (and I don't blame you!) you really need to decided which one you want to do and what you want to image (planets usually being cheaper than DSOs).

Also what imaging equipment to you currently have? eg DSLR? Lenses? A DSLR alone could eat up your budget.

Archived