Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSS output format for processing

pel

Afternoon Gents,

I'm having a bit of trouble opening the image output I have created in DSS 3.3.2. It's in the format "TIFF Image (16 bit/ch)"

Paintshop Pro 8, Gimp 2 and Adobe Elements 7 don't want to open it.

Elements error Cannot open High Dynamic Range(HDR) files. Try Photoshop CS2 and later.

IS there anyway I can do it with using the copy to clipboard in DSS and then pasting into Elements? It converts it into 8-bit when doing this.

Thanks, Perry

Afternoon Gents,

I'm having a bit of trouble opening the image output I have created in DSS 3.3.2. It's in the format "TIFF Image (16 bit/ch)"

Paintshop Pro 8, Gimp 2 and Adobe Elements 7 don't want to open it.

Elements error Cannot open High Dynamic Range(HDR) files. Try Photoshop CS2 and later.

IS there anyway I can do it with using the copy to clipboard in DSS and then pasting into Elements? It converts it into 8-bit when doing this.

Thanks, Perry

I meant is there anyway I can do this "without" using copy to clipboard.

Perry.

I can't check at the moment, but I believe there's multiple options for the tiff format output from DSS for each bit rate. Keep the 16 bit, that should work with any of the programs mentioned (I've used 16bit output from DSS directly into GIMP without issue), and try one of the other settings.

Thanks for the reply John.

I did try the FITS (16 bit/ch) image format as well and couldn't open that either, the other options are higher bit rates of TIF and FITS if I remember rightly.

I'm new to this so maybe I have done something wrong along the way.

The programs don't seem to like High Dynamic Range(HDR) files.

sorry... it was the 32 bit versions that have multiple options. Are you setting any compression ? and are you applying or embedding the adjustments.

I just did a quick test, a 16bit, non compressed file, adjustments embedded worked fine with GIMP 2.6

I use photoshop cs5 and just save from deep sky stacker as 16bit .tif files to my desktop never had any issues but I do have tons of memory available to me.

Photoshop costs loads though Mark, I can't afford to pay hundreds of pounds. I thought you were doing all of your imaging on a budget :-)

sorry... it was the 32 bit versions that have multiple options. Are you setting any compression ? and are you applying or embedding the adjustments.

I just did a quick test, a 16bit, non compressed file, adjustments embedded worked fine with GIMP 2.6

Thanks John , I've got the latest Gimp and it isn't compressed, I don't think I was selecting adjustments embedded, I will try that.

You can still use older versions of photoshop like cs2 I have been using ps for many years though as I used to be a graphic designer so loath to change. Every thing else is budget though including my chickens :(

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah I might try and pick up CS2, I used to use it when I worked on Internet/intranet sites.

What came first though the chickens or the telescope :-)

Remember that GIMP cannot process 16-bit data yet (it is planned) which means it will just throw away most of your precious stacked information and convert the TIFF to 8-bit depth. I suggest the free RawTherapee, I use it for processing RAWs from the camera and occassionally 16-bit TIFFs from stacking tools. It does it all - histogram, curves, denoising etc.

The chickens came first in fact the roosters kept me awake and got me looking at the stars :(

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk 2

Got to thank the roosters for that, it's a great hobby.

Remember that GIMP cannot process 16-bit data yet (it is planned) which means it will just throw away most of your precious stacked information and convert the TIFF to 8-bit depth. I suggest the free RawTherapee, I use it for processing RAWs from the camera and occassionally 16-bit TIFFs from stacking tools. It does it all - histogram, curves, denoising etc.

Thanks I'll give RawTherapee a try, while I try to get a copy of PS CS2 or 3.

Cheers, Perry.

Archived