NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

CCD is back - and so is the cloud

martin_h

After what seems like an age my QHY is back from China complete with new imaging chip and cooler - woo hoo:D

Cloud cover is forcast for the next few weeks, so if your anywhere N/E Lincs move now!

Interestingly looking at the KAF8300 specs the optimum working temp for the chip is 0 - 60 deg C, the absolute maxixmum temps are -10 to 60 C, so perhaps running these chips at -20/30 is pushing ones luck a bit.

Oh yes! I'm also £230 lighter

I was always surprised at people running the QHY8L (I know a different camera to yours) at -30 when it's lowest operating temp in the manual is -20. I guess this is people not reading the manuals but I suspect it will not do any good to the camera. I'm guilty for not reading manuals also. Just an observation I've made reading posts on different forums.

What happened to yours? Running it too low? Sounds like an expensive repair bill ouch

:) he has very nice images. Doesn't mean to say his camera will break. Maybe it's just a case of ensuring temp changes are done slowly to avoid thermal shock, but I suspect that some of the electronics don't like being that cold but I'm far from being an expert, I have trouble operating my VCR.

Martin, so did the moisture get on the sensor and this is why it failed? Did it cause a short or are you not sure?

Archived